Anyone else hiding in their basement to finish a last minute gift project? 

Yes I did make a make shift work bench out of a folding table, a cardboard box and some BBQ skewers, don't judge. 

Happy Holidays

20181223_121751.jpg

I judge it to be ingenious:)

what are you making?

32 minutes ago, CelticPrint said:

Anyone else hiding in their basement to finish a last minute gift project? 

Yes I did make a make shift work bench out of a folding table, a cardboard box and some BBQ skewers, don't judge. 

Happy Holidays

Anyone NOT burning the midnight oil, finishing gifts? LOL!
If I had a basement, that's where I'd be...and I LIKE the drying rack... It works as designed!

I am still organizing stuff from my move - haven't gotten back into leather working yet, but made a big step forward today when I unpacked several of the boxes that had my tools in them!

Had to be careful -one of them contained some porcupine quills that had escaped from their bags!  :huh:

What do you use porcupine quills for? Inlay? Beads?

Idiot boy, hwinbermuda took three orders today, so you, burning all of the midnight oil.

One day I'll learn.

H

Oh, I’m so sorry.

2 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Oh, I’m so sorry.

My comments were aimed at me, I'm the idiot boy...

Our posts crossed.

Porcupine quills can be cut to length, polished and used as decorative beads.

Have a great holidays,

Harry

No, I understood. I too have said, “Sure, I can do that.” Then beaten myself and others to hit the deadline. So sorry. 

‘Merry Christmas! Happy Kwanza! Happy Hanukkah! Happy Ramadan! Remember to sleep!

1 hour ago, hwinbermuda said:

Idiot boy, hwinbermuda took three orders today, so you, burning all of the midnight oil.

One day I'll learn.

I hear ya on burning the midnight oil, focused on other projects and didn't allow enough time for this one. I haven't been crafting in a while and did not remember to factor in drying time for dye and finish. I'll get it in but by the hair of my teeth. Luckily it's basic black with no tooling. One coat of dye and dry, finish with a coat of resolene. 

Love that damascus steel!  Did you make that as well?

Scooby, planning to make some moccasins, and want to decorate them with quills. Using this book as a guide, though I'm definitely NOT trying to do anything nearly as fancy as that cover photo!  https://www.amazon.ca/Quillwork-Companion-Illustrated-Techniques-Embroidery/dp/0943604257

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Love that damascus steel!  Did you make that as well?

Tuga, I ordered it from CanUsa blankblades, was just a test grab but when it came I ordered a second one right away. It's 1095 Carbon steel folded with 15N20 steel. It was sharp enough to shave with right out of the box. Making the sheath for the first one as a gift and will eventually make a tooled sheath for the second one for myself after the holidays.

Porcupine quills...hmmm, never crafted with them. I guess I could just get them from my dogs nose. He tries to rub noses with the local porcupines, he thinks they are friends and I do believe the porcupines disagree.

Celtic Print, in my neck of the woods, I often come across them as road kill. I carry a small pair of pliers in my car, and if the carcass is fresh and not too badly mangled, and it's safe to do so, I will hop out of my car and start harvesting!

I haven't made anything with the quills yet, but it feels good that part of the animal will be put to some use.

Haven't had to harvest any from my dogs yet...touch wood!

Sheilajeanne, I got into leather craft from friend from Arizona, she worked for the highway department and they had to remove loose animals that had been struck on routes and highways. She taught herself how to tan leather and would send me all sorts of stuff. It felt good working with materials I knew were part of the circle of life rather than just pursuing a trending material. Hence the skinning knife. I can shoot an arrow or a long gun, it's about time I used that skill for more than just a meal.