fallequinox

New member from Colorado

Hello Everyone! – New member from Colorado here.

I started working leather sometime this past year and time has flown since.

How it started. – I purchased a very nice knife that came with a very ordinary sheath.  I decided that I wanted to make my own sheath for it… several sheaths, bags, holsters, keychains, and wallets later I realized I love spending my time working on leather!

I found all the leather, tools and instructions I could ever want online. But I need the interaction with other leather enthusiasts and I especially need the wise instructions on this craft kindly shared by those who have been down this road before me. 

Very happy to be here and eager to learn more in every aspect of leatherwork.

Thank you and… Merry Christmas!

Greetings and Merry Christmas. Your story sounds pretty much like mine as far as getting started. You have come to the right place for instruction and feedback. This forum has some of the most helpful and friendly people you will find anywhere. Welcome and enjoy. BTW what part of Colorado are you in? I'm in Austin over in Delta county.

Just now, akguy59 said:

Greetings and Merry Christmas. Your story sounds pretty much like mine as far as getting started. You have come to the right place for instruction and feedback. This forum has some of the most helpful and friendly people you will find anywhere. Welcome and enjoy. BTW what part of Colorado are you in? I'm in Austin over in Delta county.

Hello akguy59 and thank you. 

I am in Golden, CO. 

Welcome. I have a similar story. I had a really cool knife I wanted a sheath for but didn't want to spend the 80 bucks for a good leather sheath. >$1,000 in tools, leather, patterns, and supplies later, I have that sheath. I also have a hell of a hobby that is getting close to paying for itself. :) 

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Welcome. I have a similar story. I had a really cool knife I wanted a sheath for but didn't want to spend the 80 bucks for a good leather sheath. >$1,000 in tools, leather, patterns, and supplies later, I have that sheath. I also have a hell of a hobby that is getting close to paying for itself. :) 

Thank you and right on battlemunky!

I am as far as I can possibly be from having this hobby pay for itself but it doesn't matter because I am having a hell of a good time!  I can't put my finger on it but there is something about this craft that is extremely rewarding.

• Welcome, I'm new here as well, but down in Pueblo.  Come down for a slopper some time!

Welcome aboard guys. You will find a great many intermediate level guy and girls here. And a couple of handfuls of real master Craftsmen. All ready to lend a hand. This is a great community. Do some digging, you can find answers to just ab9ut anything. I spent weeks here just reading before asking any questions.

You will find a wealth of ideas as well just randomly strewn thru some obscure thread. Some of my best tips have been learned that way. Just some members discussing their version of Burnishing on page 4 of some thread about someone's finishing technique on a holster.

Crazy how it works like that. Good luck and have fun.

20 hours ago, TroyM said:
  • Welcome, I'm new here as well, but down in Pueblo.  Come down for a slopper some time!

Thank you, Troy. Sounds good! 

19 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Welcome aboard guys. You will find a great many intermediate level guy and girls here. And a couple of handfuls of real master Craftsmen. All ready to lend a hand. This is a great community. Do some digging, you can find answers to just ab9ut anything. I spent weeks here just reading before asking any questions.

You will find a wealth of ideas as well just randomly strewn thru some obscure thread. Some of my best tips have been learned that way. Just some members discussing their version of Burnishing on page 4 of some thread about someone's finishing technique on a holster.

Crazy how it works like that. Good luck and have fun.

Thank you bikermutt07.  I am doing just that right now!

Welcome aboard from Ft. Collins!

Jeff

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

Welcome aboard from Ft. Collins!

Jeff

My brother in law is going to school in ft. Collins.