Sugarkryptonite

Source for servo motor with boxing day deals?

Hey guys

Anyone know of any websites right now with boxing day deals on servo motors or their whole website? Just looking at one of the cheaper $100 ones. Also looking for a place to buy Singer 111W153 bobbins and needles at the same time if possible.

If not, just any good source at all will do. I know there's eBay and Amazon, just wondering what else there is.

Also, thoughts on the 550 model vs the smaller brushless 1000 model?

Thanks

Edited by Sugarkryptonite

I buy all of my motors from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. They are an advertiser here.

If you want Boxing Day deals, your only recourse is to contact Techsew, in Montreal, Canada, where Boxing Day is still celebrated. They are also an advertiser with us.

Gregg at Keystone Sewing stocks a lot of servo motors and is a contributor here.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

I buy all of my motors from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. They are an advertiser here.

If you want Boxing Day deals, your only recourse is to contact Techsew, in Montreal, Canada, where Boxing Day is still celebrated. They are also an advertiser with us.

Gregg at Keystone Sewing stocks a lot of servo motors and is a contributor here.

Thanks! Didn't know Techsew was in Montreal. $27 for shipping for a 1/2 lb of thread, yikes... And I live in Montreal too. Crazy

1 hour ago, Sugarkryptonite said:

Thanks! Didn't know Techsew was in Montreal. $27 for shipping for a 1/2 lb of thread, yikes... And I live in Montreal too. Crazy

Can't you go there and pick it up?

You may want to try Cansew for the thread they are also in Montreal. I can understand you not wanting to drive in Montreal. I hate it every time I have to go there or through there especially with an Ontario plated vehicle.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

You may want to try Cansew for the thread they are also in Montreal. I can understand you not wanting to drive in Montreal. I hate it every time I have to go there or through there especially with an Ontario plated vehicle.

kgg

Thanks yea I've seen them online before. Have you ever made an order with them? Their ordering process seems quite bizarre.

Just give them a call and see how that goes. I spoke with them a while back about some edge binding material but was able to use some scrap ripstop instead that I had around. I haven't purchased from them yet but I am going to need some V92 bonded polyester in the near future but for now I have plenty of #69 (bonded polyester) and #138 (bonded nylon). I prefer the bonded polyester over the bonded nylon.

kgg

13 hours ago, kgg said:

Just give them a call and see how that goes. I spoke with them a while back about some edge binding material but was able to use some scrap ripstop instead that I had around. I haven't purchased from them yet but I am going to need some V92 bonded polyester in the near future but for now I have plenty of #69 (bonded polyester) and #138 (bonded nylon). I prefer the bonded polyester over the bonded nylon.

kgg

Thanks. I ended up buying the servo motor online in the end. Never heard of polyester thread (I'm just starting). Is there a special use case for it? When should I sew with polyester vs nylon?

2 hours ago, Sugarkryptonite said:

Thanks. I ended up buying the servo motor online in the end. Never heard of polyester thread (I'm just starting). Is there a special use case for it? When should I sew with polyester vs nylon?

Bonded polyester thread has less stretch than bonded nylon and is UV resistant. It has marginally less breaking strength than the same size in nylon. It is primarily used in Bimini covers, sails, tarps, tents, awnings, motorcycle seats and outdoor furniture. It is at least 10% to 20% more expensive than bonded nylon.

I keep a couple of spools of #92 black and white bonded polyester thread on hand for jobs that are regularly exposed to the sun.

From what I recall, Cansew thread is top class stuff. Colors match across sizes and the bonding was very good when I last had some. They are mostly setup for the garment and upholstery trades and preferred to sell in quantities for less common sizes and colors. You may save money by setting up a wholesale account with them, then order a dozen spools at a time.

I like bonded polyester for a couple of reasons. It comes off the spool / bobbin more evenly and stands up to bleach much better then bonded nylon did. My stuff is mostly dog related items of thick multi layered, multi type material that does push the limit of what I can stuff under the foot of my machine (Juki 1541s). The thread has to be able to withstand multiple washing/disinfecting/drying cycles (50 -60) in a eight week period. I would be lucky to get one 8 week cycle period out of bonded nylon before some items would need thread repair or replacement. Changing to Coates Dabond bonded polyester thread has significantly reduced thread fraying / failure and now items get at least 3 eight week cycle periods before they need thread repair or replacement. Just my experience.

kgg

9 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Bonded polyester thread has less stretch than bonded nylon and is UV resistant. It has marginally less breaking strength than the same size in nylon. It is primarily used in Bimini covers, sails, tarps, tents, awnings, motorcycle seats and outdoor furniture. It is at least 10% to 20% more expensive than bonded nylon.

I keep a couple of spools of #92 black and white bonded polyester thread on hand for jobs that are regularly exposed to the sun.

From what I recall, Cansew thread is top class stuff. Colors match across sizes and the bonding was very good when I last had some. They are mostly setup for the garment and upholstery trades and preferred to sell in quantities for less common sizes and colors. You may save money by setting up a wholesale account with them, then order a dozen spools at a time.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, kgg said:

I like bonded polyester for a couple of reasons. It comes off the spool / bobbin more evenly and stands up to bleach much better then bonded nylon did. My stuff is mostly dog related items of thick multi layered, multi type material that does push the limit of what I can stuff under the foot of my machine (Juki 1541s). The thread has to be able to withstand multiple washing/disinfecting/drying cycles (50 -60) in a eight week period. I would be lucky to get one 8 week cycle period out of bonded nylon before some items would need thread repair or replacement. Changing to Coates Dabond bonded polyester thread has significantly reduced thread fraying / failure and now items get at least 3 eight week cycle periods before they need thread repair or replacement. Just my experience.

kgg

Nice! Where did you get your Coats Dabond from?

Got them off Kijiji there were 50 - 1 lb rolls individually factory sealed from someone who bought a shop and didn't need / want them. So since I was looking to replace the bonded nylon with something that would stand up better I gave it a try. For the price not much to lose if it didn't work.

kgg

On 26/12/2018 at 1:58 PM, Sugarkryptonite said:

Shipping anywhere in Quebec including Montreal for a 1/2 lb of thread is $12. You're welcome to pay us a visit too!

Ron

3 hours ago, Techsew Ron said:

Shipping anywhere in Quebec including Montreal for a 1/2 lb of thread is $12. You're welcome to pay us a visit too!

Ron

Thanks Ron! You're right, my mistake as I had the motor in my cart at the same time. I saw after that it was $12. 

So we can come any time to the address listed on your website and buy thread/needles/etc anything listed on your site?

9 hours ago, Sugarkryptonite said:

Thanks Ron! You're right, my mistake as I had the motor in my cart at the same time. I saw after that it was $12. 

So we can come any time to the address listed on your website and buy thread/needles/etc anything listed on your site?

absolutely!

Ron