gengado

Small wallet

Could you give me some advice to improve this wallet

the layers inside is goat leather

IMG_20181226_192536 (Copy) (2).jpg

IMG_20181226_192658 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20181226_192636 (Copy).jpg

Most of what I would be unhappy with are things that come with practice.

Stitching, edge treatment, cutting, and thread/needle combination.

You have made a personal item that is totally functional. Be proud of that my friend. Show it off to your friends and they will never see the flaws you and I see.

All that being said.... Slow down and take your time. Learn to sharpen whatever knife you are using. It takes a super sharp knife to get clean cut lines. Then get yourself a little sand paper. Sanding lightly along the edges will really clean it up. Try not to press to hard when sanding and Burnishing. It causes a mushroom effect along the edge. If you are using edge paint along that edge, do all the sanding first. Get yourself a pencil to apply the edge paint. Just roll the tip along the edge and put it on in very light coats. Sanding a little between each coat. Allow for plenty of drying time between coats.

Get yourself a wing divider and use it along the edge to make light straight lines for your stitches. Make sure your awl, stitching chisels, or pricking irons are on your line and perpendicular to the leather before piercing. Some smaller thread on a wallet will look a little better as well.

It all takes practice and time, but you are well on your way. In a few months you will be blown away at how much better you can do.

Good luck and keep having fun.

Edited by bikermutt07

i'm very benfited for your advices your insiration

bikermutt07

It doesn't look bad at all @gengado. Main thing I can see aside from the edges is to get the tension on your stitching right when using soft leathers like goat. It tends to bunch up when its pulled too hard. This comes with some practice and feel and time.

Looks good for the most part, keep it up!

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

It doesn't look bad at all @gengado. Main thing I can see aside from the edges is to get the tension on your stitching right when using soft leathers like goat. It tends to bunch up when its pulled too hard. This comes with some practice and feel and time.

Looks good for the most part, keep it up!

thank you very much

they both hit it on the head for me, clean up the edges, smooth them out, and as mike said, tension on the thread. only thing I would have changed is using the same thread for all of it. i personally like sinew for looks, and tends to be a bit stronger, although it does like the separate a lot easier as your stitching.

Your work is improving.  Keep at it.