cardinal leather

consew 227 r-2

A neighbor offered to sell me his consew 227 r-2, clutch motor fully assembled on sewing table. He would like to get 500.00 for it, he reports that he has had some trouble with the timing on it but admits that he does not know much about the machine so decided to get rid of it. I found info on this site about machine numbers all around this one but not much on this machine. My question is is this machine worth 500.00 even if i have to have some work done on it to correct the timing? Also i saw somewhere on the net that this machine is good up to 207 thread, does anyone have any experience with using larger or smaller dia. thread?

Other people will be better informed, but if you live in a major city, yea, that is likely in the ballpark.

It helps that it’s a neighbor since he’s less likely to be hiding something significant.

”timing issues” becomes a catch all phrase explaining away the simple fact that the machine doesn’t make a stitch.  It must be human nature to believe turning a screw or bumping an adjustment won’t hurt anything and is easy to undo if it doesn’t help.....any old industrial has had a number of well intentioned self taught mechanics under the hood.... 

Worst case the machine has been tweaked so much that everything is out of adjustment, some screws are broke off and others are stripped.  Shafts are bent, the hook, bobbin case, presser feet and feed dog are out of the junk bin and will never work without replacement, and the machine has essentially been stripped of anything good and to keep it working worn out parts have been cobbled together.

For that reason if I don’t know anything else about it a machine that won’t stitch is worth half price.  Now if it looks good and tight and it’s obvious a good quality hook simply needs a minor adjustment that’s different and not so bad.

Is it possible to take it to a service engineer and get a quote for sorting it out prior to buying it, and then you have room to negotiate on the price. you may have to leave it a couple of days for the check

$500 plus say a couple of hundred in repairs may make it a expensive buy

Edited by chrisash

I don't think this is a worse case as the bearings and shafts needle bar etc. all seem to be tight, the paint is clean and tight, no repaint that I could see, no over usage or paint wore off. the hand wheel is small and did seem to be tight when I rotated the needle up and down a little. I did not bottom it out but did raise it as far as it would go to check it. they could have it jammed with thread under or around the bottom of the bobbin case. I did not take it apart but almost looks like more operator error than anything else.