Rustwa

Sheath for head knife

IMG_20181227_204901015_01.thumb.jpg.844379dacf59bf58f46f4b12173a5901.jpgThis is a sheath I made for a new Weaver head knife I recently bought. It is made to hang on a peg from the d-ring. 

There are a few first for me on this project. 

1. I have never used this serpentine stamp. I think it came out well enough, but I might dull off the border corners so that it's easier to blend one stamp to the next.

2. This is a new to me border stamp for the inner crescent. I hate it. It was hard to line up and it just doesn't have good definition. Live and learn.

3. This is the first beaded border that I've cut with my BK beader blade. I'll get better with it and it was a ton easier than cutting 2 parallel shapes.

4. And finally. The first pattern I've ever cut out with a head knife! 

This is just an in house utilitarian piece so it was a good opportunity to try some new things with little risk. The stitching got away from me in a few places but that's due to an inconsistent angle of the awl around the curve. There are things I would have done differently but it was a fun little project.

I think it’s gorgeous.

Looks like a nice tidy little project. The only thing I see that I might do differently, is the retaining strap. It looks pretty plain, Maybe a line of stitch right around, or some camouflage stamps along each edge, just to finish it off.

I do like the way you have balanced the stitching along both bottom edges, even though (I would expect), the stitching under the retaining strap is not functional, but only for show.

21 hours ago, Rustwa said:

This is just an in house utilitarian piece so it was a good opportunity to try some new things

This what I did with the cases for my head knives, skivers, stitching chisels, boot knife, swivel knives, bevellers and edges, scissors, magnifying glass, sewing kit, pouches for rivets and rivet setters etc etc etc.

I like it.

36 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

The only thing I see that I might do differently, is the retaining strap

That is my main regret. At the very least I should have taken the opportunity to practice more with the beader blade.

38 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

the stitching under the retaining strap is not functional, but only for show.

The stitching there is through a "retaining welt”? not sure what to call it. It is an extension of the welt around the radius but only attached to the front panel. The knife slides in past it and is then captured by it as the retaining strap holds the front and back panels closed.

I too look forward to making cases for many more of my tools as I reorganize my workbench. Here's hoping for a long winter.