EdDavis

New Member from Kentucky

Retired  (70 yrs old) and about to climb the walls:rolleyes2:  Sense I can no longer bass fish due to 2 back surgeries.

It's been over 20 yrs sense I have done any leather work at all.

Worked in a saddle shop in Buffalo, Wy. for a spell, mostly doing repair, belts and the like.

Have done Native American Reproductions (without the ageing) and Black Powder Knives (pre made blades) and sheaths,  some bead work.

Have had to order new hand tools and some leather from Montana Leather & Herman Oak.

Still have a few pieces I made around and also still have 2 Elk, and 1 Bison hide and one side of rawhide.

So will be starting small and getting back in the groove of things as long as my beat up body will handle it.

Feel that is plenty for a introduction.

Hi Ed. It sounds like you’ve already got a good start. The people on this site are always very helpful and mostly cheerful. Hope you feel well soon and that leatherworking brings you joy!

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

I'm spending a lot of my retirement time on leatherwork. I'd likely be bored without it. 

Welcome aboard.

Jeff

Welcome! Look forward to your experience :) 

Welcome on board. What part of Ky are you from? I am located in Winchester  just outside of Lexington.

Welcome aboard. I hope you get to enjoy your retirement.

1947 model here,  so jump in and enjoy,  good folks on this forem and always willing to help.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.  Have made a horizontal knife sheath for a buck 110 already.....too scared to post pics LOL 

1 hour ago, EdDavis said:

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.  Have made a horizontal knife sheath for a buck 110 already.....too scared to post pics LOL 

Welcome! Please post them!

If you post pics of your buck sheath, I'll take pics of my first sheath. Oh, and I'll post them, too. And it was my first wet molding, too! So, imagine what that looks like.

Besides, most of us don't use our real names as our user names, just so we can post pics of our early work! Kidding! I'm kidding...mostly.

Jeff

On 12/31/2018 at 1:48 PM, Kenl said:

Welcome on board. What part of Ky are you from? I am located in Winchester  just outside of Lexington.

15 Miles east of Glasgow, Ky on Hwy 90 little town called Summer Shade.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:39 PM, alpha2 said:

If you post pics of your buck sheath, I'll take pics of my first sheath. Oh, and I'll post them, too. And it was my first wet molding, too! So, imagine what that looks like.

Besides, most of us don't use our real names as our user names, just so we can post pics of our early work! Kidding! I'm kidding...mostly.

Jeff

Where is the best place to post pics of knife sheaths or first try in ages, mine was also a wet mold

Edited by EdDavis

There is a forum here called Critique My Work.  You can post there and some useful comments generally proceed.  Don't ever get your feelings hurt, we all started somewhere and I'll bet your previous experience gives you a leg up on most.  Have fun with it, I know I do.

Welcome aboard!

Putting my money where my mouth is, I'm posting the promised pics of my first sheath in "critique my work" thread. 

Jeff