fallequinox

My latest creation - 1911 Holster with embossed alligator inlay

This here is my latest prototype (after about a dozen previous shots at it that I was not happy with). I am finally happy with this one. I will try to put up more pictures from other angles but I have to fish for them as my pictures from my phone seem to be too big. 

The back is good side out and the inside is lined with chrome-free pigskin. 

The front is actually three pieces. Two pieces of 4.5 to 5 oz and the inlay sandwiched between (but not out to the edges). The front also has the good side of the leather facing in on the inner part. This way, the future resident will only come in contact with the good side of the leather on one side and chrome-free pigskin on the other. The front is also slightly larger than the back to form that small bit of space. 

I did not water-form this one and I don't think I will. The model 1911 fits perfectly and has great retention as it is.  

Critique most certainly welcomed and encouraged!

IMG_5795.thumb.JPG.70d40f8464444f31ce7bca1a64900701.JPG

That is very nice...

Looks great! Nice edges. I wonder what it looks like with one of Browning's best in residence.

Just sayin'.

Jeff

Oh, and those are some of the finest belt slots I've seen!

Edited by alpha2

Minus the undyed slots, I like it!

2 hours ago, BattleAx said:

That is very nice...

Thank you, Sir. 

2 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Looks great! Nice edges. I wonder what it looks like with one of Browning's best in residence.

Just sayin'.

Jeff

Oh, and those are some of the finest belt slots I've seen!

Thank you, Jeff! Unfortunately, I do not own one of Mr. Browning's best, just a plastic model. I use my imagination. I did the belt slots very last. 

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Minus the undyed slots, I like it!

Noted. Yes, the slots were the last thing I did .. I like the way they came out except of course, no dye. I'm thinking that a Q-tip can fit in there..... hmm. maybe I can fix that.  -- Thank you!!

Q-tip is the mini-dauber ;)

The medical grade ones with the wooden sticks are a big step up in quality.  Speaking of quality, that's a great looking holster.

3 hours ago, Sofaspud said:

The medical grade ones with the wooden sticks are a big step up in quality.  Speaking of quality, that's a great looking holster.

Thank you!

And, I will keep an eye out for those med-grade q-tips.

I use Q-tips for that all the time but have started using a paint brush lately and I think I'm starting to lean more toward it. Just cheap craft store brushes, nothing major. The allow a bit better targetting and control over Q-tips when you are needing to keep it between the ditches.

Looks great though. I am playing Red Dead Redemption 2 right now and that holster looks like some of the legendary bull gator things you can make in game. I dig it!

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I use Q-tips for that all the time but have started using a paint brush lately and I think I'm starting to lean more toward it. Just cheap craft store brushes, nothing major. The allow a bit better targetting and control over Q-tips when you are needing to keep it between the ditches.

Looks great though. I am playing Red Dead Redemption 2 right now and that holster looks like some of the legendary bull gator things you can make in game. I dig it!

I have some of those brushes. Thanks!

Very nice holster!

Great job all the way around!

Nice holster, nice edge jobs. What pattern did you use? I am currently trying to do an avenger style with a rattlesnake skin insert.

On 12/30/2018 at 4:01 PM, AA3JW said:

Nice holster, nice edge jobs. What pattern did you use? I am currently trying to do an avenger style with a rattlesnake skin insert.

Thanks! (Didn't see this till just now.)

I used the Bob Park tutorial on here to do my edges and I used the Adams LeatherWorks OWB Pancake style holster pattern for the 5" 1911. 

I am afraid of using my snakeskin as it is so thin. I'm looking forward to how your holster turns out! 

On 12/30/2018 at 12:14 PM, BlakesBlades said:

Very nice holster!

Thank you, Sir! 

On 12/30/2018 at 2:23 PM, SickMick said:

Great job all the way around!

Thank you!!