TDragon

Recommended starting stamps

Hello, 

I don't believe I have formally introduced myself, but my name is Reece and I have been officially in the hobby/trade of leather craft for about 2 months now. When my father passed away he was just starting out in leatherwork himself and so with his passing I inherited all of his tools and leather. When he got his set of tools it was already missing several items from it but he did have the majority of the basics. My question comes in on the stamps that I have vs the ones I don't and should consider obtaining. Below are the tool numbers currently in my possession:

Tandy 100, b197, 203, 206, p206,  210, v407, 429, c429 c431, 702, s705, 708, 709, 748, s722 

I have some money ear marked for leather craft items here in the following weeks and would appreciate to know what you all think would be good considerations to add as far as stamps are concerned.

Hi there Reece, Welcome to the forum. My condolences on the passing of your Father, I have been where you are now.

Just a suggestion on your stamps question. If you have a piece of scrap leather, maybe some belly or something you are less likely to use, make a stamp impression of each of the stamps you currently have, then post that pic.

If I had the time and/or I was not so lazy, I could go through all my stamps to identify what you have, then make some suggestions for future purchases. On the other hand ... maybe somebody who knows the numbers will step up and make some suggestions.

Either way, good to see you here, don't forget to post some pics of your work.

10 hours ago, TDragon said:

I don't believe I have formally introduced myself, but my name is Reece and I have been officially in the hobby/trade of leather craft for about 2 months now. When my father passed away he was just starting out in leatherwork himself and so with his passing I inherited all of his tools and leather.

When he got his set of tools it was already missing several items from it but he did have the majority of the basics. My question comes in on the stamps that I have vs the ones I don't and should consider obtaining. Below are the tool numbers currently in my possession:

Tandy 100, b197, 203, 206, p206,  210, v407, 429, c429 c431, 702, s705, 708, 709, 748, s722 

I have some money ear marked for leather craft items here in the following weeks and would appreciate to know what you all think would be good considerations to add as far as stamps are concerned.

Condolences on the passing of your father-- may your leatherwork be a memorial to his life. 

Here are some names to go with the tool numbers posted above, as found on Tandy's current website. 

b197 = smooth beveler
p206 = pear shader
v407 = veiner
c431 = camouflage
s722 = seeder

The following chart may help you figure out which tools you have (https://www.tandyleather.com/media/downloads/CraftoolConversionChart.pdf):

100 = background seeder (?)
429  = camouflage

Some of your tool numbers I can't locate on the catalog or the chart, but now we've got a good start on what you have. 

You currently have a good starting set to learn the basics of traditional western floral style, except that you seem to be missing a background tool (see the A series in the PDF chart above-- A104, A114, A118).

Recommending further tools depends on just what you plan on doing with them. (Like checkered backgrounders, mulefoot tools, border stamps, figure bevelers, etc.)

Do you have a swivel knife and a way to sharpen it?

The tools you need depend quite a bit on what type of work you are going to do. If you want to do Sheridan carving, you'll need seeders, mulefoots, veiners, camouflage stamps and pear shaders. If you just want to do borders or geometric stamps you'll need basket weave stamps, crescent camouflage stamps, and other tools that look good on borders. 

A tool that's indispensable for doing flowers is the undercut beveller, Tandy B 60.