Bender

"Long" term leather storage

Probably not using the right key words or something but getting WAAAYYY too many results.

We're small, so not moving a lot of volume...yet. :) So this leads me to wonder about storage of leather. I think our upholstery hide will be OK, but about our 10 oz veg tan? Don't want drying & cracking?

Sure, could oil it but I seriously need it to not significantly change color. Right now we're using the Bee Natural Leathercare RTC Sheridan Resist & Finish on finished product. working good for our needs so far. But what about hide that hasn't been made into product yet.

Now I imagine that taking a hide and storing it flat would certainly assist with the cracking problem. But what about drying out? Should we use that Bee Natural stuff on the hide even for storage before it's made into product? Although it doesn't seem to actually ADD much to the leather would it be sufficient to seal the leather so it holds what it came longer?

Heck I'm so new at this I'm not even really sure what sort of time line we're looking at for how long a hide can be stored before its an issue, nor how long a whole hide might hang out with us in storage before it is all made into stuff and sold. :wacko:

Keep it away from sunlight, in a dark or shady  place  and away from any heat sources . Keep it covered too if you can. 

HS 

Ok, so no applications of anything during storage. Fine. Probably solves the color problem. And fortunately what we have now actually meets those recommendations. Due to where we live, this summer may be problematic, it gets to near desert like humidity levels, even in the basement/shop. But I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. 

Thanx! :)