bvdv

Great grand fathers tools

I found some old tools from my Great grand father. Unfortunately he died, so did my grand father and father. I heard he was a shoe maker. Can anyone identify the brand of the awl, I can't make anything from it ?  Maybe it helps if I mention I live in belgium. Thx in advance Bert

IMG_20181230_150109-03.jpeg

IMG_20181230_150101-01.jpeg

IMG_20181230_150003-01.jpeg

Nice old stitching awl..  It would be an honor to use a great grandfather's tools.  Heck, I don't even have any of my father's tools.

Sorry, the brand stamp I can not read.

Could be a home brew.  I hope you realize just how lucky you are to have that tool used by your great grandfarther. HOLD on to it. USE it. Honour the man.

Excuse my ignorance, as I am no expert in vintage tools. From what I am seeing near the hilt it looks suspiciously like an old file that was made into an awl. 

This is just a guess.

Nice tool use it and when you do say hello to an old friend . its funny almost every tool i use i say hello, sometimes ill sit in the shop and look at the tools i have in the thousands .one guy gave me his great grandfathers saddle makers tools in unbelievable good condition, when i ask him for a price he said just use them some of them i have know idea what thy even are, thy came in trunks with hand written     letters from 1890 and  leather samples.   buckles i cant name it all here lets just say a lot funny part i don't even  know this man my son told his new doc i do leather work and the doc said would your farther like some old leather working tools and wow . Thanks for showing it that's very cool.

Thx for all the kind words, and yes I definitely will use them. I have plenty more I post pictures if you like to view them. Bert

I have to sharpen some. Also last awl it has a broken point but I think I can fix that. I will get some more pictures what was included in his toolbox. Bert

IMG_20190101_155603-02.jpeg

An absolute priceless treasure!

I agree with Bikermutt, the awl looks like it was a small triangle file before it was worked into an awl.

The black stuff looks like winter code or hand wax that shoemakers used on the threads for stitching the upper to the the sole.  Winter hand wax is sticker than summer wax.  Its a combination of pitch and wax.  It protects the thread and seals up the holes.

Looks like shoe maker's tools!  Nice.  I have some old awls, they are made with those ridges.  I think they are there to help the blade retention when set into a wooden handle.  Doubt it was a file to start with.

@Samalan, you should start a separate thread and share images of some of your old tools, sounds fascinating!

YinTx

What I like is the nice and thick wood handles that one can actually GRIP :)

I would use then ONCE in his honor and  then display them!

Sam

4 hours ago, YinTx said:

Looks like shoe maker's tools!  Nice.  I have some old awls, they are made with those ridges.  I think they are there to help the blade retention when set into a wooden handle.  Doubt it was a file to start with.

@Samalan, you should start a separate thread and share images of some of your old tools, sounds fascinating!

YinTx

I will i'll have to do it when my son comes over i have no idea how to put pic on the computer lucky i can turn this thing on ,but there is a lot of very nice tools thanks for the suggestion. YinTx

Some of these stuff were in this container. I don't know if it belongs to my great grandfather or my grandfather, the only thing I know is my grand father wasn't a shoe maker but he could have put in stuff into this box. I received this box from my father. Who received it from his father.  But this stuff is so vintage. Nicely made I share it with you guys

Solingen Steel is some of the best.  I think these are skiving knives, I've always wondered how the curved ones worked.  Nice!

YinTx

I suspect that many of these tools will survive more than a dozen of modern ones.
But in general, guys, I sometimes envy in a good way that, next to many of you, there are (or were :() people who can not only tell, but also visually show the secrets of mastery.

Thank you for sharing these pictures

very nice collection I envy you as I am myself a vintage/antiques collector  :)