Willbury

Adler 220 Minimum needle size

I've had, for a number of years, a single needle Tuftmaster (re-badged Adler 220) sitting in the corner of my shop.  I haven't been using it as most of my heavy duty sewing work gets done on an Adler 205-370.  

The ultra large bobbin on the 220 has piqued my interest of late as I've been sewing a lot of  combined canvas and leather projects and the bobbin capacity when sewing much longer seams is very appealing (currently using a juki LU-563 for the work). 

Doing a bit of reading in old Adler literature it states that the needle system 7x23 is designed to take a range of 170-200.  My question is it possible to run smaller diameter needles?  I can see 7x23 needles down to 130 available, will these work?  I realize the hook may need be moved to accommodate the smaller size needle.  Any other reason it wouldn't work?

No matter the machine - you usually can but as you said sometimes it requires to bring the hook tip closer to the needle - meaning you probably have to move the hook saddle toward the needle. Just try it it will not hurt. ;)

11 hours ago, Constabulary said:

No matter the machine - you usually can but as you said sometimes it requires to bring the hook tip closer to the needle - meaning you probably have to move the hook saddle toward the needle. Just try it it will not hurt. ;)

I’ll give it a go.  

Pulled the needle (that came in the machine) out this morning and realize it isn’t a 7x23 system at all, looks like it’s very close (or actually is )to a 794 (7x3) system.  Perhaps someone reset the needle bar height or maybe tuftmaster set them up that way.  Convenient as 794 are plentiful in styles and sizes. 

Now to find and replace the giant boat feet with something more suitable. 

You can always sleeve a smaller needle, but as Constabulary pointed out, an adjustment may be required.

Just changed my adler 220 from system. 7x23 to system 328

so i can buy leather needles for is (they are almost the same length)

On 1/2/2019 at 5:55 PM, Michiel said:

Just changed my adler 220 from system. 7x23 to system 328

so i can buy leather needles for is (they are almost the same length)

It ended up being set-up for 794 needle system so needles are fairly plentiful, so that's a bonus.  Looks like feet for my Singer 211 fit it as well!