Sign in to follow this  
Alex

Should leather be dry or damp during dye work?

I was wondering if using a damp sponge squeezed out thouroughly was ok to use when dying, or should it be bone dry? Futhermore, is it ok to use the same sponge over again, with the same dye of course. Or is scrap wool a better method? Or is it just personal preference?

Also is there a way to keep the back of projects from getting stain on them, or am I just being careless? It seems difficult. Are there any tricks?

Thanks,

Alex

I think you will find that if you use a damp sponge you will get a different result than if you used a dry sponge to dye. You should experiment on a piece of scrap leather to see the different results that can be achieved, then pick the one you like the best. You can use the same sponge over and over again with the same dye. I have found that wool is best for antique paste than dye as the dye could be repelled by the wool; at least that is what I have found when using wool with different finishes. Which is odd, as you can use the wool daubers with dye and get wonderful results.

I have made up several charts using 2x2" squares of leather and applied the different colors of dyes, antiques and finishes. I use these to get an idea of what I am looking for. Keep in mind that dye will come out differently on different leather lots. Some will be darker than others. You can ask 5 different craftsmen a question and get 8 different answers. Take what you learn and then try all the methods and see what works for you. Hope this helps.