TomWisc

Can this clicker press be used for leather working

I am wondering if this clicker press can be used for leather working? I know nothing about them but see this item for sale and if possible would use for wallets and small pieces for bags, etc.

clicker press.jpg

Yep. 

This a USM model C.   I've used this machine for twenty years.  I sold my Fipi and Swabe when I sold my

business 14 years ago.  My machine has been reliable with only one used part from Melody Machine.I also got a die bender and punches to do steel rule dies. This machine is susceptible to double clicking after about a 1000 clicks on small dies. don't see them in factories for that reason.  They work with a internal clutch which heats up. Formerly used for cutting shoe soles.

The primary problem is stopping on the die, however there is a release mechanism at the, top most just back it off with a large pipe wrench.  Lot ta

marks on the hub.  It's my pet machine, most use 220 single phase, you can replace with a 110 motor.  Manuals are available on EBAY.

If it was me not over $1,000 and it has to work.   tx Lynn

Do you know the tonnage? This looks it should work. It's similar to mine. I have an ACME 20 ton.

Thanks for the responses. It was for sale at an online auction and I couldn't get in to see it first. Also I am just doing simple things and it probably would not get used. I saw it 2 days before the auction closing and didn't know enough about it before the auction closing.

Sold for $60.00, yes SIXTY DOLLARS!

I use a sizzix and custom made steel rule dies.  works pretty well for leathers up to 6oz.  

On 1/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, ljk said:

.I also got a die bender and punches to do steel rule dies. 

Can you lead me in the direction to find a good die bender? 

On 1/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, ljk said:

Texas custom dies. I hear nothing but good things about them. Lots of members here use them and they are also a sponsor of this site.

11 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Texas custom dies. I hear nothing but good things about them. Lots of members here use them and they are also a sponsor of this site.

I want to make my own...

12 minutes ago, turbotexas said:

I want to make my own...

Oh. I saw a video recently where a man was using a ring bending machine for a low cost investment. They run about 3-400 dollars.

Here is the video...

Google will show you a bunch of steel die benders.  Honestly, it wouldn't be cost effective for me to go through all of that.  Even if i already had a cutter, and the proper welding equip, and the bending equip, and the space to put all of that, ... the time I save cutting with the dies would be negated by teh time I spent making the dies.  I'd have to be making DOZENS of each item to make it worth all of that. 

I'm not trying to talk anybody into OR out of making what they want to make.  But I have dies that work great, made by others while I was earning money with something else, at a cost that pays for the die on the second or third cut.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:50 AM, JLSleather said:

Google will show you a bunch of steel die benders.  Honestly, it wouldn't be cost effective for me to go through all of that.  Even if i already had a cutter, and the proper welding equip, and the bending equip, and the space to put all of that, ... the time I save cutting with the dies would be negated by teh time I spent making the dies.  I'd have to be making DOZENS of each item to make it worth all of that. 

I'm not trying to talk anybody into OR out of making what they want to make.  But I have dies that work great, made by others while I was earning money with something else, at a cost that pays for the die on the second or third cut.

It’s just a hobby for me...