Sign in to follow this  
chrisash

Use PETG for stamp rather than ABS

High folk

Been reading up on the various filaments as as a new starter have been using PLA for trialing stamps and a bit dubious of using ABS as apparently the smell is rather strong and don't want to leave my spareroom/ workshop smelling if i can avoid it

So two alternatives seem to be on offer PETG and also Nylon 12

Wondered if anyone had experience of using either, Stamps will be for use with arbor press so no shock loads

Regards and a Happy New Year to all

I use PETG regularly. Abs is not a good choice because it will warp without a heated enclosure and it actually offgasses. So more than smell it is also toxic and requires ventilation. 

PETG is an outstanding material, and is easier to print than nylon, however if you are capable of printing nylon it will wear better and I believe has a higher strength  

Just know that that moving from PLA to almost any high strength filament is tricky. It take much more fine tuning and often doesn’t print as smoothly and beautifully. 

Many thanks, do you have a make you prefer, there are so many choices and prices, its hard to know if your paying for marketing or quality my trial with nylon was a soft one Taulman 231

The only PETG I use is 3DxTech but they are expensive and it’s more of an aesthetic thing. I like the way their filament looks. Most PETG bought from a reputable source are great. The quality problems of the early days of 3D printing are more or less gone. Something like hatchbox is great and usually available on Amazon  

Just know that if you use 3DxTech you have to put glue stick down on your bed or it will adhere so strongly it will damage it. It will peel off nonstick coating and will even take chunks of glass out of glass top beds. Nasty stuff but great quality. 

Other PETGs don’t usually have that kind of bonding problem. 

Specifically for stamping though I would look at the hardness of nylon vs PETG. strength won’t be a problem for them but the harder the filament the more crisp your stamping will be.

also, for resolution on the plane of the bed, look into a .25mm nozzle. It will give you much more detail than a .4mm. 

That was a bit much but hope it helps. Best of luck. 

Many thanks, any suggestion on the Nylon as Taulman seem to do so many versions/numbers