Badem

Rusty Adler 67-73 t w/ ac motor, do or don't?

Dear sewers,

I've come across this Adler 67-73t with Ac motor. It looks in poor condition. Hence the price of $114. Would this be worth giving it a try? I'm aware possible replacement of parts can be tricky to find and are more expensive. The seller says it's up and running smoothly.

Also will the motor be enough for my purpose? I will need the machine for sewing bags from tarpaulin, up to 4 to 6 layers at a time. Is this a servo of some sort? Will include a picture of the motor details in a comment.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20190102-155943~2.png

Ac motor Adler 67-73t

Screenshot_20190102-155934~2.png

What have you got to lose, even breaking it up for spare parts to sell might be profitable

JUst give it a very good clean as far as you can, make sure any oil holes are clear and give it a good oil and then see what it can do, lots of advice on cleaning them up (All types) on this forum

The consideration would be spending $113 on this one, or use that amount to install a servo motor on my pfaff 561 with double feedt. The Adler has triple feed which would be even better for my purpose, but it only makes sense if the machine won't bail on me :)

Edit: I just noticed this Adler has single feed, at maximum needle feed but waiting for the seller's confirmation. That makes it much less interesting to switch for me, I hoped to at least upgrade with this purchase to triple feed..

Edited by Badem
new info

Most of the machine seems to be there.  It is a green colored meaning they were made from the late 50's to early 70's.     Cleaning is up, possible repainting of the head, rebuilding it should not be too hard to do.  Take lots of pictures while doing it.   I rebuild machines as does  Constabulary.  I would take the machine  on.

glenn

1 hour ago, Badem said:

I've come across this Adler 67-73t...in poor condition. Would this be worth giving it a try?

That looks like a good “winter project”.  I’d say go for it!

Here’s my winter project this year.  I started soaking it in oil in September 2018 to get it loosened up.  The outer foot presser bar is the only thing still seized.

The first thing on the agenda was to evict a hive of yellow hornets.  Since then, things haven’t been nearly as exciting....

CD in Oklahoma

Machine623_01.jpg

Machine623_08.jpg

9 minutes ago, cdthayer said:

That looks like a good “winter project”.  I’d say go for it!

Here’s my winter project this year.  I started soaking it in oil in September 2018 to get it loosened up.  The outer foot presser bar is the only thing still seized.

The first thing on the agenda was to evict a hive of yellow hornets.  Since then, things haven’t been nearly as exciting....

CD in Oklahoma

Machine623_01.jpg

Machine623_08.jpg

Woa you've come a long way then!  The seller told me the 67 is in good working condition so very slim chance of hives and other surprises :)

Though I prefer to be able to actually sew instead of waiting for replacement parts (it's what I'm currently at, almost 2 months have passed for my pfaff pieces to arrive.. Not so fun) and strolling the Web in search of manuals. Cleaning up the Adler would be a project to spare on costs of what a decent machine of this quality would cost me. I'm a newbie with machines but I am pursuing a career in bag making so hope to be saddled up and ready asap!  

Acording the advertiser its a 63 (not 73)

than it should be bottum and needle feed.

all the adlers i bought (that old) were  not dificult to get sewing verry well.

this machine is for sale for some months now because he was asking to much (in my opinion)

(if i were you i would sent him an email and offer 100 euro)

regards michiel

Edited by Michiel

21 minutes ago, Michiel said:

Acording the advertiser its a 63 (not 73)

than it should be bottum and needle feed.

all the adlers i bought (that old) were  not dificult to get sewing verry well.

this machine is for sale for some months now because he was asking to much (in my opinion)

(if i were you i would sent him an email and offer 100 euro)

regards michiel

You're right!  67-63t. I'm looking at several different options, I must have mistaken the advertisements. Thanks for your opinion!  What are your search requirements or just keeping an I on the advertisements? 

@Badem An Adler 67-63 was the first industrial sewing machine I owned. They are very well built upholstery-weight machines with good parts availability. Sadly the 67 class machines have a small bobbin by modern standards and the -63 subclass has only needle-and-drop feed rather than the more fashionable triple-feed. Their quality and utility far outweighs their current market value. That particular machine you found exhibits rust from atmospheric moisture (where the paint has rubbed off from use) rather than being rained on so I'd say it could well be in good functional condition.

However the question is: will the Adler do something that your Pfaff cannot?

2 hours ago, Matt S said:

@Badem An Adler 67-63 was the first industrial sewing machine I owned. They are very well built upholstery-weight machines with good parts availability. Sadly the 67 class machines have a small bobbin by modern standards and the -63 subclass has only needle-and-drop feed rather than the more fashionable triple-feed. Their quality and utility far outweighs their current market value. That particular machine you found exhibits rust from atmospheric moisture (where the paint has rubbed off from use) rather than being rained on so I'd say it could well be in good functional condition.

However the question is: will the Adler do something that your Pfaff cannot?

My current pfaff 561 works on variostop motor and pneumatics, though I don't have the lather option so already many functions are not in use. With the variostop I have the option of a threadcutter, but I don't have the option of lifting the pressure foot by pedal (=pneumatics) which is quiet essential.. Pfaff gives me just about enough doubts to consider this Adler ;)

It's not a question for this thread but would I be able to retain the option of threadcutter and add the pressure foot-lift by pedal if I change the variostop for a servo on my pfaff?

I might just give the Adler a try, not much to lose and I received proof that the machine delivers stitches :) so basics are up and running.

That is an ordinary single phase motor, which means two speeds - stop and go. Is there a clutch/pulley arrangement underneath?

If someone gave it to me I might consider it, but I wouldn't want to pay too much myself.

4 hours ago, Badem said:

You're right!  67-63t. I'm looking at several different options, I must have mistaken the advertisements. Thanks for your opinion!  What are your search requirements or just keeping an I on the advertisements? 

just keeping an eye

1 hour ago, dikman said:

That is an ordinary single phase motor, which means two speeds - stop and go. Is there a clutch/pulley arrangement underneath?

If someone gave it to me I might consider it, but I wouldn't want to pay too much myself.

Just now, Badem said:

Screenshot_20190102-235513~2.png

Edited by Badem

and does someone know what type of motor this is? I've seen them often but don't really understand what it can be.. this one's from a Pfaff 138

$_85.JPG

Edited by Badem

3 hours ago, Badem said:

Ops having a difficult time uploading the photo's

You can reduce the file size to 800 x 600 pixels and be able to load lots of pics.

This is a clutch motor on your Adler.  Pressing on the pedal engages the clutch.  To run at slow speeds, you will have to learn how to slip the clutch.

Tom

Thanks Badem, as Tom said it has a clutch, but at 1/3 hp the motor isn't very powerful. Still looks like it needs a lot of work on it. I have seen those motors before, but blowed if I can remember where. I don't think they're very powerful (could be wrong). It's got a very small pulley on it!

I've anyhow taken in account that I'll need a switch to servo. @Michieldo you know a Dutch servo dealer? Quick Google search wasn't very clear.

Thanks all for your involvement it helps to understand this universe of machines!

Does anyone have some insight on the Adler 167? Seems in great condition and a good price. I understand it's similar to the 67- series, what is the difference? Is it an upgrade? Thanks! 

Edited by Badem

Badem,

i have sent you an pm (in dutch)

The 167 has an larger bobin

On 1/2/2019 at 9:15 AM, Badem said:

Dear sewers,

I've come across this Adler 67-73t with Ac motor. It looks in poor condition. Hence the price of $114. Would this be worth giving it a try? I'm aware possible replacement of parts can be tricky to find and are more expensive. The seller says it's up and running smoothly.

Badem, How did you come out with your "winter project"?  My machine finally broke completely free (outside presser bar stayed seized all winter) yesterday after I put some major pressure to it.  I was to the point that something was going to have to give after five days short of eight months using gentle persuasion.  I'm happy to say there are no broken parts.  Now, I just need to find all of the covers that I took off, and figure out in what order they all need to go back on.  I hope you had success with your 67?

CD in Oklahoma

Edited by cdthayer
spelling error

Don't forget me cdthayer!

glenn

14 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Don't forget me cdthayer!

glenn

Gotcha Glenn.  Right now, I plan to keep and use it.

CD in Oklahoma