Guest Noreeljob

Hand Control for Sewing Machine w/ Servo

Guest Noreeljob

I am looking to buy a servo motor for juki lu562. I can't use my legs to operate the foot pedal. Can you just use a off / on switch to start motor instead of foot pedal. I just sew for hobby. Thanks Joe.

Joseph Kerlicker

You lose all the advantages of a servo by making it an on/off control.

There is a post somewhere here where a person is using a hand cable control similar to bicycle brakes or motorcycle throttle.  A system where you can adjust the speed and lock it at that speed might be handy.  And a quick release.  Try a Google search such as

site:leatherworker.net sewing machine servo hand control

and see what you get.  You can modify the search parameters to use words that you feel might get better or different results.

Found this one

Tom

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

You lose all the advantages of a servo by making it an on/off control.

I agree that a variable-speed hand control would be better than an on-off. However if the OP can't operate a foot pedal then an on-off hand control would be better than not being able to control the motor at all. An on-off control would indeed lose the easy speed variation that servos offer but the speed limiting, power/noise/heat reduction and needle-positioning functions would still be useful.

@Noreeljob Would you be able to use your knee to control the speed? You might be able to rig the speed controller from a servo to a standard knee-lifter lever, which is a common and inexpensive part.

1 hour ago, rejerome said:

Get with http://www.solar-leather.com/. They have what you’re looking for. I use their control and it works great. 

Hi guys.  Yes.  It’s something that we designed.  We have them in stock.   $80 for everything you need for the enduro or family style motors

Solar Leather Machines 

817-422-9151