councilman24

Which patcher?

Which patcher would you pick? A Singer 29k71 or Adler 30-5? Both on stands, good working condition, both $500.  I know limitations of patchers.

Assuming that both machines are producing good stitches and in roughly the same condition I would base my decision on which one has the most repair parts readily available and at reasonable prices. I do know that the cobbler in Perth, Ontario a couple of months ago was getting rid of his Adler patcher's for $500 Canadian each due to the lack of both repair and parts support.

kgg

The Adler is the better machine because it is a high lift version, long arm version.    However, some parts are no longer available although I might have them.  The Singer is the better machine for parts and availability.

I would buy the Adler but that is me and I rebuild patchers.

glenn 

I would buy the 29K71 mainly because of the parts situation. I´m owner of a restored 29k71 and have restores several other 29K models and Adler 30. The 29K71 is technically advanced and you have more options for making adjustments. The 29K71 can sew with a lower foot pressure whereas the Adler always has a certain and quite hight foot pressure due to the leaf spring. The 29K71 has a helical presser foot spring you can tune the foot pressure a lot better. Regarding high lift - belief it or not my 29K71 can sew 10-12mm thick materials - it just depends on the settings. This is no sorcery and I have not modified parts. I hoverer never sew materials this thick "in real life" but it is possible. The thing is you have to play a little bit with the position of some parts. I think Singer never explained well enough what their late model patchers are capable for.

I can post a quick 29K71 Video showing how thick it can sew if someone wants me to.

2 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I can post a quick 29K71 Video showing how thick it can sew if someone wants me to.

Yes Folker, that would be good, thanks. :spoton:

8 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

The Adler is the better machine because it is a high lift version, long arm version.    However, some parts are no longer available although I might have them.  The Singer is the better machine for parts and availability.

I would buy the Adler but that is me and I rebuild patchers.

glenn 

Glenn,It's a 30-5 isn't that a low lift large bobbin?

Bob

30-5 is a small hook high lift / long needle 30-3 is the large hook short needle variant.

3 hours ago, jimi said:

Yes Folker, that would be good, thanks. :spoton:

There you have it - 29K71 sewing approx. 12mm material with sz. 15 metric thread with 140 needle - okay I´m cheating for approx 0.5mm  :unsure:

Edited by Constabulary

Folker is correct.  The 30-5 is a long arm high lift small bobbin machine. Small bobbin like the 30-1, high lift like the 30-7.

Thanks for the replies.  I've bought the Adler because it was closer and it works well.  The Singer 29k71 is still available.  Looks like it needs more cleaning than the Adler.  Debating on a 4 hour one way drive.:rolleyes2:

I have two 29-4's that both need parts and one singer stand.  I may just play with them now that I have a working patcher.

What to do, what to do.:unsure:

2 hours ago, councilman24 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I've bought the Adler because it was closer and it works well.  The Singer 29k71 is still available.  Looks like it needs more cleaning than the Adler.  Debating on a 4 hour one way drive.:rolleyes2:

I have two 29-4's that both need parts and one singer stand.  I may just play with them now that I have a working patcher.

What to do, what to do.:unsure:

You missed out on my up and running 29k172 by a few months. It was for sale for a year before I traded it in. My shop is in Burton, Michigan, near Flint.