I have been using Resolene for years and never had a problem, the last 2 belts I have made the 3rd coat is drying in little ( rain drops ) ? there is no sign of this while applying the Resolene. I thought maybe my bottle was old so I bought a new bottle and had the same problem ( on the 2nd belt I just noticed last night ). I haven't changed any process , I use the same process on every belt and this is why I have no idea with whats happening. Anybody else having this problem , I hope someone has an answer to this really weird problem. 

Thanks 

John 

John's Belt Shop

Has the bottle been allowed to freeze at any time?

2 different bottles 1 old 1 new, but it’s only happening on the 3rd coat

Are you cutting it 50% with water?  It goes on with fewer problems if diluted.  I prefer to spray it on.

It sounds like you are using it neat and the two coats are sufficient. The surface is rejecting the third coat because it is sufficiently sealed and there is no room for it to soak in. The third coat is pooling and drying by evaporation. I find some leathers will just keep soaking up resolene and some are sealed after just a couple of coats. I dilute my res 1:1 with water and dip, spray or brush/sponge it on

If you really need that third coat, apply the res and if it starts pooling just keep sponging or brushing it over as it dries

Edited by fredk

23 hours ago, fredk said:

If you really need that third coat, apply the res and if it starts pooling just keep sponging or brushing it over as it dries

it will end up with a smear/spread of an acrylic antique stain (if used) over the surface

On 1/3/2019 at 3:57 PM, utah leather said:

I have been using Resolene for years and never had a problem, the last 2 belts I have made the 3rd coat is drying in little ( rain drops ) ? there is no sign of this while applying the Resolene.                                                                                                                                                           

on what type of work do you use resolene? photo?

My experience has been consistent with what Fredk said.  Leather that is really smooth and burnished on the surface can be a problem also.  

FWIW, I always buff before the next coat. And thin coats only. I do three coats most times, and haven't had issues, but I can see that different leathers would have different properties.

Jeff

5 hours ago, nrk said:

it will end up with a smear/spread of an acrylic antique stain (if used) over the surface

1. not if the first coats sealed the antique or stain

2. one uses a technique called 'dry brushing' where one just uses a dry brush very lightly, just to disperse the bubbles, nether a loaded brush nor a heavy brushing action

Thanks everybody, for this hide I will go with 2 coats and see if it looks ok,