Pledgedpatriot

Tape measure holder "help please"

Hey everyone! Hope the new year is starting out right! I'm trying to build a tape measure hanger/holder for my belt. I cannot for the life of me find the metal clip/hanger for the tape. I have an example here, the metal piece. Anyone know where I can get them? Thanks in advance!!!

tool-accessories-oklph1-64_1000.jpg

Thats the best bet, I made a speed square, tape measure, pencil holster for a friend and I couldn't find the clip so I bought a cheap one and cut the rivets.

Todd

I found a lot of holsters with that hardware but couldn't find where to buy the hardware.

I just use a rectangle of leather on the back of the holster for the belt to fit through. Not what you asked for but an idea if you don't want to buy a cheap holster for the hardware.

measure tape holster back.jpg

Have you tried some of the Asian online sites? They often have really cool stuff. 

Looks like this tape holder is "patent pending," which means that the metal hardware part of the tape holder may not be available on the open market.

@fredk those look similar to the same thing, but, they are offset by 19mm or 3/4". Usually the tape measure clips are only offset by 4mm or an 1/8". This would probably cause the tape to really stand off the hip.

I have been searching for these items as well off and on for awhile.

I am betting that a piece of kydex could be used in place of the steel.   I haven't ever worked with kydex but I imagine it would be a strong enough option. 

Thanks for the replies! As @bikermutt07 said the belt clips stand off to far and are to thick. Thanks tho, on the note of buying a cheap one, I hate to spend the 6-8 bucks for a .30 cent piece. I'm going to have a local fab shop make them. Working on a metal stamp/punch. I'll let yall know when I get them built!

Hey I know this is an old thread but I make a tape measure holder called the TapeMaster. I had the same problem finding those tape clips so I ended up designing a special one and having it made out of stainless steel. I'm going to post them soon on my site for sale for the DIY crowd but I'd be willing to send you a couple.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:36 PM, Pledgedpatriot said:

Hey everyone! Hope the new year is starting out right! I'm trying to build a tape measure hanger/holder for my belt. I cannot for the life of me find the metal clip/hanger for the tape. I have an example here, the metal piece. Anyone know where I can get them? Thanks in advance!!!

tool-accessories-oklph1-64_1000.jpg

it's nothing to make it with a piece of good leather and 2  rivets....and some thread.

A+ Products lists them in their online pdf catalog (product #4082 on page 30, top left, about 3/4 of the way down):

http://www.aplusproducts.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/APlusCatalog.pdf

Elsewhere it says that other products can be ordered in various finishes...not sure if that applies to this item...but maybe??? I have never ordered from this company so I don't know the "particulars"...simply took the time to do a quick search & post here as courtesy...the rest is up to you if you decide to pursue it.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:09 PM, joshhartung said:

Hey I know this is an old thread but I make a tape measure holder called the TapeMaster. I had the same problem finding those tape clips so I ended up designing a special one and having it made out of stainless steel. I'm going to post them soon on my site for sale for the DIY crowd but I'd be willing to send you a couple.

Oh man, thanks for posting this just found this thread and ordered 2, these things are impossible to find.

Haha, hi Aaron. Just saw your order come through. I'll get the tape measure holders right out... would love to know what you make with them.

Presume you are aware that the other is or was patent pending, so likely to take action against you for a copy of their design, now you have advertised it to the world

15 hours ago, chrisash said:

Presume you are aware that the other is or was patent pending, so likely to take action against you for a copy of their design, now you have advertised it to the world

Hi chrisash, good catch! I have several patents and have had substantial training in patent work in my time as an engineer. I think I'm in the clear on this one. Besides the fact that these type of tape measure clips have been around for well more than 20 years (any patent expires after 20 years and the invention becomes part of the public domain), it would be difficult to argue that this type of thing is not "obvious" or any person "skilled in the art" would not have come up with it. But if he DID have a good patent on a tape measure clip I sure hope he would go after Occidental before my tiny side business :)

Also to be clear, my designs are 100% original. Certainly I like to understand where other designs have been disliked by users - I read a lot of online comments as part of my design process - but I don't release a product until I'm satisfied that it's better than anything else out there.

So I'm happy to fill just a tiny gap in the leatherworker hardware supplies market for now, at my own risk!

Edited by joshhartung

Please see this link: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110139837

It appears that the "Patent Pending" stamp on the Pocket Hitch is for the overall design itself (i.e. wrapped internal spring similar to a holster clip), not the metal clip holder hardware itself that resides on the front above the lettering. I'm with Josh on this one...such hardware, whether identical or of similar use or construction (see my previous link above), has been in the marketplace for decades. Shall all other makers go full-stop in the production of their goods because Pocket-Hitch stamped "Patent Pending on their product? Last I checked, none of the other manufacturers/brands on the shelves in the tool stores I visit have received the message.

As for me, I now have several sources for such hardware in the future should I need/want to make such a product.

Pledgedpatriot   

Go to a sheetmetal shop and tell them you want a strip of 16 gauge sheet metal1'' wide by 48'' long

then bend the sheet metal in to the shape you want.  I would use my file as a mold.

drill holes, cut off the strip, round edges

On 1/19/2020 at 7:57 AM, chrisash said:

if he drills a different size hole then he is not violating the patent. or changes the shape of the rounded corners

patents do not mean a thing

@Double Daddy great find on that patent. I was looking in utility patents and didn't find anything. Design patents are actually pretty good protection against folks that would copy the style pretty much exactly, so copycats. Otherwise they're not worth much. On the upside they aren't expensive and they apparently captivate audiences of obscure craft forums... so cheap marketing!