Sign in to follow this  
geargarcon

Chartermade Trim Knife

Very good condition.  Stropped after every use.  It will include the little sheath I started to make out of shell cordovan. I never got around to stitching it.

I’m hoping to buy another one from Terrick in a giraffe bone handle later this year, but before than happens I have to free up some cash.

Asking $215 shipped.  Sells for $240 at RMLeatherSupply.

Let me know if you have any questions.

7E6D6CB5-FDA6-4766-9E55-04B662F60ED0.jpeg

9603CD92-9D2A-488A-A7C7-6BB15E9911D1.jpeg

Edited by geargarcon
Pictures added

Wish I needed it buddy.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:51 AM, navybluetoucan said:

This still available?

Sorry for the delayed response.  I had some family medical issues to tend to.  It is still available.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is so special about it, to cost so much. obviously i have no interest in knives, but just interested as it looks so basic a design

44 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is so special about it, to cost so much. obviously i have no interest in knives, but just interested as it looks so basic a design

Their reputation is excellent, Chris, but everyone has there own views on all tools; how they fit in the hand, how they perform for them, value for money, how long they hold an edge and so on, and sometimes, just sometimes, how good they look.

There are some damask steel round knives on ebay that look wonderful, but talking to a friend that makes knoves they are unlikely to have any real performance plusses ove the good modern steels available a lot cheaper.

My brother bought loads of Snap-On when he started out in automotive 40 years ago, some of which are still on his box, but now much of what he buys is run of the mill non-professional tools, that he rates just as highly.

H

5 hours ago, chrisash said:

While it is a basic design it is not a production model knife. It was crafted by chartermade. I think the fellas name is Toureg. His knives are known for their quality and come ready to use.

Custom knives will always be more expensive than production line models.

But, once you use one it's hard to settle for less. 

14 hours ago, chrisash said:

To tack on to everyone else...

Terrick of Chartermade started out as a professional leatherworker.  He was actually featured in GQ some time ago.  He is a skilled craftsman and found that there were things he wanted to tweak about all of his knives ranging from his skiving knife to his head knife.  As a result he redesigned the basic designs we are all familiar with, tweaking them in ways that may not be apparent until you use one.

For example, his skiving knife has one rounded corner and a custom grind on it that makes it perform better than any other skiving knife I've used.

After creating his own knives, other leatherworkers took notice and started asking him to make them similar knives.  One thing led to another and now he primarily focuses on knife making because of the huge demand.  Unfortunately this has meant up to a 6 month waiting period at points.

Overall, I'd say that the details like ergonomics, blade angle, cutting angle, etc have all been fine tuned by an expert leatherworker who understands what we need in a tool.  Many other makers who I support and love will admit they aren't leather workers and lean on the feedback of their users to fine tune their tools.  That's what sets his work apart in my opinion.  Expert leatherworker and expert knife maker.