Wconn1979

Hello

I have been a lurker on the site for a few months, I have not started making any projects yet but am interested in making small things like wallets, knife sheaths and holsters.  

Welcome....

Welcome ex-lurker from Lufkin!  Once you get your first project under your belt I bet you will be hooked just like the fish in your photo. It is a very rewarding craft to take up. I have been hooked for 40 plus years. A shop teacher in middle school taught a segment of leatherworking. I am forever grateful for that learning experience. Little did I know off and on threw out my life I have been drawn to leather crafting. I hope it too becomes a rewarding hobby-business for you. Best of luck!

what would you all  suggest for starter projects to learn the basics.  I have a long leather wallet pattern from makers leather supply that I bought a while back because I wanted to make my own wallet but have not tried it yet.  

You could jump in on a wallet but that is maybe a bit lofty for some first projects. Having the template is a huge advantage. Leather can be quirky so you may want to go ultra easy like some key chains or bookmarks and such so you can get used to cutting and edging, etc. Then work your way up to a sewn slip wallet or two (or10), then a long wallet. Sewing is usually a hurdle until you get a few hundred feet of thread through some holes. 

I've heard from a few folks on here to make 10 of something. I've done this myself. Then dive into something else.

Also, YouTube is your friend!

Welcome fellow Texan,  enjoy your new adventure All it takes is time, money, patience and practice. Did I mention practice? Get some scraps and practice whatever you want to do to start with, like the long wallet. Then practice some more.  Enjoy it it can be very relaxing and very frustrating.  All folks here will help in any way.they can.  Oh did I mention practice?

Battlemonkey is spot on, you don't want to take on a more advanced project out of the gate.  It probably would be frustrating and could cause you to give up. Take it slow and be patient. Coasters(aka rounders), keychains, bookmarkers, stick style hair barrettes, etc. Let us know how it goes, we are rooting for you! 

Agree with Battlemunky 100%. Start small and slow. Get a feel for everything you do with a smaller less complicated piece before jumping into something like a wallet.

Welcome!

My first project, a little over a year ago, was a belt, made from a pre-cut blank that had the buckle slot cut, and snaps already installed.

Belts are great because they can be as plain as you want, or as fancy as you dare. In any case, you'll deal with cutting the tip and punching holes, Beveling and slicking edges, and finishing. It's all great practice for other projects. You'll also have something that you can wear every day - it's a great motivator for future projects.

I find wallets to take a bit more "finesse" to get them to look good, and the construction/sewing can be a bit complicated, BUT- there's no reason not to make that kit. Sometimes the best project is the one in front of you.

Lastly, try not to be overly critical of your work. When making something, we are always examining the fine detail of every millimeter, but the final product is always seen as a whole. ...and don't be afraid to post pics of your very first item - you're among friends, and all suggestions will be positive and encouraging.

Lots of good advice here. I have been doing leather working for less than a year and although I wanted to start on a complicated project right out of the gate, I did a couple rounders and a coin purse first. It was a little frustrating doing easy projects but I learned a lot from them. 

Next I did a belt. No tooling, just a basic simple belt. I was so excited to have actually made something useful that I still wear that belt every day! I have made nicer belts since then but I proudly wear my first belt everyday!  It reminds me of how I felt when it was done!

Since then I have made a couple of archery arm guards, a few portfolios, and some tote bags. Now I am making my first wallet.

It's like woodworking, probably better to make a cutting board before trying to make a china cabinet!

Good luck to you and welcome to the wonderful world of leather!

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Battlemunky and others, start with something simple, and build up from there

How about a key fob? Depending on how complicated you want to go, it will show you - pattern making, marking out; cutting out; dyeing; edge bevelling; edge burnishing; saddle stitching; tooling; finishing; and probably a couple of other techniques I've missed. They will also use cheaper types of leather to practice on, like offcuts, remnants, or belly leather

Make a few for friends & family, and keep the first one for yourself, to see how you have progressed

There are loads of videos on YouTube. I make no apologies for repeating that some of the best are by Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson

Have Fun!

Oh yes, I nearly forgot

The key to any good leatherwork is to have absolutely razor sharp tools, so you could make your own strop from oddments of wood & leather. There is a sharpening section on this forum, or search YouTube. But treat yourself to some proper honing/stropping compound. This will be just about the easiest piece of leatherwork you'll ever do

Even if you start off with a Stanley Knife (box cutter in USA?) which has replaceable blades, they seem to be better if you resharpen them, probably because you reduce the shoulder of the bevel, and give them a higher polish

Whatever knife you use, you will need two. Keep one for leather, and the other for cutting string, opening parcels and so on . It's purpose is to make sure that you keep one knife exclusively for cutting leather

Thanks for the information.  I plan on trying out a few projects when I get back in from offshore in a week or so.  

For a knife I had ordered a scaple with 10 spare blades.  Was also looking at buying a nice round knife.

I think I want to tackle a "gun belt" I was looking for something 1.5 inches wide and fairly thick, around 15 ounces.  I think I may order 2 of the heavy leather strips from Tandy and glue them together.  Then finish off the belt with a plain stainless buckle.  

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/heavyweight-natural-cowhide-leather-strips 

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/heavy-duty-roller-buckles-stainless-steel

At the risk of sounding dismissive, I suggest that you don't start with either of those knives

I use scalpels for my model planes ( in fact I trained as a biologist and they were left from my dissecting kit) but I think you will find them too light for all but the thinnest wallet type leather

A round knife is the ultimate leather working knife, but they are tricky to use and expensive. I suggest you mentally put that to one side, and use a Stanley knife at first. They are cheap, work well enough, and you probably have one anyway. Then when you have got the hang of this leather business you can buy a round knife in the near future, with the benefit of some experience

If you are starting, you might think about buying in to a Tandy discount card. There will be loads of things to get and it will probably pay for itself. However, I have heard that the Tandy/Al Stohlman round knife isn't that good. If you're going to get one, you may as well go the extra and get a better make. I'm sure others will advise you