Badem

A clutch motor 1425 rpm or upgrade to servo?

I'm in need of a 'slow' sewingmachine for precision and control stitching and found a good deal now. The advertiser send me this photo of the motor; it's a clutch motor, he called it a 'leather motor' since it goes at about 1425 r.p.m. I have no experience with motors/electronics and could use some advice regarding this offer, or deciding to upgrade to a servo. I made the agreement that I can either buy the machine without the motor (and order a servo elsewhere) or buy it with, but it will have an impact on my budget. Will this motor be slow enough for my needs? I would like it to go stitch by stitch at times, I'm not at all interested in 'fast' options. Also I prefer the machine to be quiet, which I know a clutch is not. What is the aprox. value of this clutch motor (without machine)? 
Thanks ! 

5c30bc71c6d70_Screenshot2019-01-05at14_50_13.thumb.png.d899d0e0e42a1a7ece3792545e64f1f6.png

Buy a servo motor + maybe later a speed reducer or DIY one! You will not regret it.

Value of a used clutch motor? Almost nothing because no one really wants them - maybe 25 - 30€ if you find a buyer.

College sewing is blowing out their NOS clutch motors for 28GBP with wires and switch.

Thanks @constabulary for putting things in perspective. I wanted to know the value so I can negotiate the purchase without motor :)

Go with the servo motor you will never regret it . And adding the speed reducer makes things even better !!!!!!!!

To go stitch by stitch, you need a servo motor with a speed reducer.  If you are well practiced, you might be able to do it with a clutch motor, but would have a number of misses.

Tom

No question whatsoever - servo motor and fit a small 2" pulley to it. You'll probably find that you'll need to fit a speed reducer too as has been mentioned.

I recently had to get rid of two clutch motors I didn't need and almost had to give them away, I got Au$10 each and figure I was lucky getting that!

Edited by dikman

Badem;

This is the servo motor I and a lot of our members are currently using. The knob is a potentiometer, but used to be a multi-position switch. It is equipped with a 50mm pulley. I can sew at about 1.5 stitches per second direct from the motor. On another machine I installed a 3:1 speed reducer. I can sew a stitch every other second. It has brushes that are replaceable and has a cork brake that can be ground down or removed, as you prefer. See if you can find one like this in your Country.

37 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Badem;

This is the servo motor I and a lot of our members are currently using. The knob is a potentiometer, but used to be a multi-position switch. It is equipped with a 50mm pulley. I can sew at about 1.5 stitches per second direct from the motor. On another machine I installed a 3:1 speed reducer. I can sew a stitch every other second. It has brushes that are replaceable and has a cork brake that can be ground down or removed, as you prefer. See if you can find one like this in your Country.

Thanks for the recommendation... I am going to look for one in Europe... I would ship from the US, but customs tarrif is quite high here, in germany...

Cheers

Alex

importing a 110V motor from the US to Europe makes no sense at all. I haven´t yet seen this model on the continent but a similar motor is / was the HMC ZYT116. I had one but it made a permanent high frequency beeeeeep sound and that was so unbelievable annoying. I ended with a 750Watts Jack Servo from College Sewing. I meanwhile have 2 and a 3rd (and maybe 4th) one will follow soon.

wow thanks all, makes it very clear !
The machine is an Adler 167 with walking foot; any tips on watts/torques/whatsoever I should take in account when choosing a servo? 550watts, 750watts? I don't work with leather but with tarpaulin. Can I later on upgrade with the speed reducer or should I get it right away? Maybe I don't need literally stitch by stitch :) until now have been working as well partially manually when I needed the real precise work, that worked fine, but overall I prefer super control over a motor doing "vroom" and eating the project, so to speak.. 

A 550w motor should be plenty, but it's always a good idea to go with the biggest you can afford. Try it without a reducer first, it may be fine for your needs, if not add/make a reducer (don't forget to fit the smallest pulley you can to the motor, every little bit helps).