Some photos of my 3rd go at making a bag, I still need to do a strap for it though. I did make one but I wasn't happy with the quality of the leather strap blank I got from ebay!! so I've just bought some better leather to do another.

I began this ages ago but I kept putting off doing it as I have limited work space and limited time so I kept doing smaller projects instead. I recently bought some Horween leather that I want to use for a bag but I decided I couldn't begin that till I had finished this one which helped to motivate me to finish.

The bag was done to fit my old 15" laptop so its quite a big bag, my next one will probably be for a smaller laptop.

Leather is hand dyed veg tan, fiebing british tan and medium brown. stitched with tiger thread (.6mm) I'd have preferred to have used some some of my current favourite thread yue fung waxed linen but I actually started this bag about 6 months ago which was before I discovered yue fung so I had to continue with the tiger thread. Hopefully my next one won't take so long to do :) 

20190104_093829-01_resized.jpg

20190104_093912-02_resized.jpg

20190104_093944-01_resized.jpg

20190104_094005-01_resized.jpg

20190104_094053-01_resized.jpg

20190104_095539-01_resized.jpg

20190104_095627-01_resized.jpg

Very Nice :) Love the color... what kind of leather is that that you used?

1 hour ago, Rbarleatherworks said:

Very Nice :) Love the color... what kind of leather is that that you used?

Thanks, It's 2.5mm veg tan that I dyed with feibings spirit dye then conditioned with Sedgwick leather conditioner. The flesh side it treated with tan kote. 

Yeah man! That looks great!

Fantastic job!

Really nice looking bag! Great work!

That's a nice bag, good job.

What are the little straps (like the one you put your mark on) for? Just structural or is there another purpose?

23 minutes ago, BlakesBlades said:

That's a nice bag, good job.

What are the little straps (like the one you put your mark on) for? Just structural or is there another purpose?

Thanks, the straps at the top of the gusset is something I copied from some other bags I’ve seen (bag review). The intention is to prevent the stitching at the top from being unduly stretched if the bag is overfilled. Not sure how practical it is but I thought I’d try it out seeing as I’m just learning how to do bags.

Excellent bag.

Well done.....

BEAUTIFUL! 

-

9 hours ago, stormcrow said:

... I’m just learning how to do bags.

So THIS is just a prototype...? I'd be willing to carry around your bag ten or twenty years for test purposes!

Absolutely robust and beautiful:)

Sam

14 hours ago, LederRudi said:

-

So THIS is just a prototype...? I'd be willing to carry around your bag ten or twenty years for test purposes!

Without a question! Exceptional work.

On 06/01/2019 at 2:21 AM, stormcrow said:

Thanks, the straps at the top of the gusset is something I copied from some other bags I’ve seen (bag review). The intention is to prevent the stitching at the top from being unduly stretched if the bag is overfilled. Not sure how practical it is but I thought I’d try it out seeing as I’m just learning how to do bags.

Excellent idea, those straps. I've used a similar strap - stitched to the top of the gusset leather - as a fix for an older bag where the leather and original stitching started failing