luckyfind

mini brute sewing machine info

hello all, I found this forum after a lucky find at an auction.  I could use some info. I bought a mini brute sewing machine at an auction. I know nothing about sewing machines. I bought it because my wife wanted to learn how to use one. it was purchased in 1999 and was still new in the box never opened.  brought it home and realized it for leather. so my wife doesn't want it. I am going to sell it to get her a regular sewing machine. what should I ask for the mini brute? I have the original receipt, paperwork and accessory kit. im located near Columbus ohio. it does have some light surface rust on feet. box was sealed up but had got wet sometime in the last 20 years.

Edited by luckyfind

You'll have better luck doing searches for information if you spell sowing as "sewing".

CD in Oklahoma

It looks a lot like a Thompson PW-500Mini Walking Foot Sewing Machine, but I can't see the presser foot area clear enough to see if it's a walking foot.  The "Mini Brut" label is not familiar to me.

CD in Oklahoma

It would be kind of fun if it is a model that was taken over by Thompson and then renamed, but it could also be a knock-off of Thompson’s design.

Can you get a photo of the foot and needle plate area, and one of the back side of the machine?

CD in Oklahoma

Edited by cdthayer

Looks very much like the Sailrite machine.

6 minutes ago, Hockeymender said:

Looks very much like the Sailrite machine.

Did Sailrite take over the Thompson Mini Walker?  Seems like maybe they did.  Anyone know?

CD in Oklahoma

ETA:  If he has a receipt that is 20 years old, he could have an interesting machine on his hands.

Edited by cdthayer

I worked on a Thompson Mini WF PW-103 back in 2007 (had to fabricate a replacement tension release tab), but it is a completely different model than what we’re talking about.  Other than that, I don’t have any experience with any other mini walking foot machines, Thompson or otherwise.  I think they’re cool little portable machines though.

CD in Oklahoma

You can still get new Mini Brute's from Sailmaker's Supply new for $648 US, which seems a bit high to me and really don't look much different then most of the available portable walking foot machines. Similar new machines in Canada run about $600 Canadian.

kgg

Looks like a mini walking foot machine to me.  Good find.

CD in Oklahoma

4 hours ago, cdthayer said:

Looks like a mini walking foot machine to me.  Good find.

CD in Oklahoma

would you give me an estimate of what I should ask for it?

49 minutes ago, luckyfind said:

Nope.

CD in Oklahoma

No reason your wife cannot use it for normal sewing work and great for quilting, maybe not silks etc but good on denim and heaver poly cotton as well as light leather

Edited by chrisash

3 hours ago, luckyfind said:

Somebody sold a Thompson mini walking foot machine for $300. Here is the ad for it. I'd guess that your Mini-Brute is the same machine with a different name tag.

I agree with chrisash that it would make a nice basic straight stitch machine without all the bells and whistles for someone to get their feet wet. All it probably would need is some good oiling, a fresh needle and some thread. If your wife fines she doesn't like sewing or after she gets more self confident / experienced then sell it. Better to learn the basics on an inexpensive, forgiving machine first rather then spend a lot of dollars up front only to find you don't have the temperament/patience or whatever to get the most use out of the machine.

kgg

18 hours ago, kgg said:

I agree with chrisash that it would make a nice basic straight stitch machine without all the bells and whistles for someone to get their feet wet. All it probably would need is some good oiling, a fresh needle and some thread. If your wife fines she doesn't like sewing or after she gets more self confident / experienced then sell it. Better to learn the basics on an inexpensive, forgiving machine first rather then spend a lot of dollars up front only to find you don't have the temperament/patience or whatever to get the most use out of the machine.

kgg

awesome thanks everyone. ill have her give it a  try then. I paid a dollar for it and a bunch of other stuff so if it doesn't work out im not out anything. thanks again