Sign in to follow this  
CelticDragon

Leathercraft Guilds

What is the best leathercraft guild to join?

Although I'm in Western Australia, I did make inquiries into  the Leather Workers Guild of  N.S.W.  in the very early days,  (  in  the east of  Australia)   thinking it may be beneficial . There are none in WA .(  just one club to my knowledge)  I know I couldn't attend meetings , workshops etc.  in person being so far away,  but  we could still share ideas patterns, techniques etc. as well as  being in contact with and  support  fellow leather crafters.....well, so I thought.    After  3 -4  emails or more  ....and patiently waiting and thinking " I can finally be part of something   I really enjoy,  " ...I got no reply , not one  single reply.  So I just figured  that joining a guild was   not a good idea after all.  I also once  held a ' medieval view' that guilds were closed to ' outsiders', because thats how it was once upon a time.  That was the impression I got from LWGNSW. ( sorry)    I haven't bothered since. 

But CelticDragon, good luck in your search

HS 

Edited by Handstitched

The International Federation of Leather Guilds (www.ifolg.net  ) lists one guild in PA:

PITT POUNDERS LEATHER
GUILD
Meet: 3rd Saturday, 1: - 4: pm
Their web site will give you excellent information
www.pittpounders.org
Greensburg, PA

Also, there is always the on line guild they have:

INTERNATIONAL INTERNET
LEATHERCRAFTERS GUILD
Meet: 1st Saturday, 8: pm CT,
online via chat program
wwww.iilg.net

I am a member of two leatherworkers groups within an hour of my home in Western Australia. Both are friendly, informative and helpful. Sometimes (but not always) I have found its what you put out, that comes back to you.