Steve223

bezel on a rivet head

I do lapidary (cutting and polishing stone) work and merge my two hobbies . I have been looking on the web and can't locate  a rivet that the head has a bezel on it. I seen them with glass on the head and I could take it out or mount a bezel on the head but I find it is hard to believe they don't sell the rivet with no stone in the bezel. If you know of somebody that sells them that would be great! Thanks for your time.

I haven't run across any. I am guess you have already searched the stone crafting side of the market as well?

I looked everyplace I could on the web. They have rhinestones in the rivets that I could find. I guess I can remove the rhinestone and place the semiprecious and precious stones I cut. I was hoping someone was selling a higher end silver rivet that takes a gemstone.

1 hour ago, Steve223 said:

I looked everyplace I could on the web. They have rhinestones in the rivets that I could find. I guess I can remove the rhinestone and place the semiprecious and precious stones I cut. I was hoping someone was selling a higher end silver rivet that takes a gemstone.

Have you tried talking with a jeweler?

It's my guess that something that specific is going to be as hard to find as retail available shoe parts. That is like pulling hen's teeth.

The  problem is the ones that have glass or plastic stones are cheap, They are made of a very thin coating of gold tone or what ever they use. This stuff dulls or wears off fast. This type of rivet is used on women's clothing or leather jackets  and in many cases by the 100s to get a glittery look.This means the unit cost must be low. In the jewelry market we have a similar problem, a large group of people want low cost items that look good but are not into high quality or high durability.  All this makes it hard to fine nice looking parts.

That sounds like custom fabrication/casting territory. Depending on your resources in that area, you might want to consider repurposing a commercial finding and getting creative with your method of attachment. Do you have a project in mind for the rivets? Also, please share pictures of your stones! I'm an aspiring (but time-poor) lapidary and love seeing what others are up to.

Yes. I am afraid you are correct on custom work will be needed. I have a basic plan. I will first start with cut round stones with a coring tool (the cored center will be the stone used) and dome them and then off to the tumbler to take them to polish. I should be able to do a dozen at a time. Then glue them to the tops of flat rivets or use the rhinestone rivets and remove the plastic rhinestone.Then glue the new stone in place. I will post this summer when this project starts. Too cold here in Wisconsin  to start cutting stone and tumbling.

Have you looked at Springfield leather?  They may have something, or be able to help.   They did a video tour that was posted on here and there was a lot of things in the bead portion of their shop.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=springfield+leather+video+tour&view=detail&mid=29FC370FAC9D8F0C3C8629FC370FAC9D8F0C3C86&FORM=VIRE

I will look thanks.

No, I didn't but I ordered something that can be changed some to work.