lovetocreate

Singer 29-4 belt slipping

Hi,

I just purchased a Singer 29-4 from another seller on this list.  It's a beautiful machine and it stitches well when turning the wheel by hand, however, the belt is slipping and  when using the treadle.  The seller painted the machine and I think that is the reason why as tre wheel is very smooth (painted with epoxy with clear coat)  Any ideas on what to do so I can use the pedal to stitch?  Thanks !

machine1.jpg

machine2.jpg

Could take a little course sand paper and scuff up the groove on the pulley ? 

Thank you for the suggestion.  I really didn't want to sand and possibly do more damage than good if there is a better way.  The belt is a new leather one, is there something I should do to or put on the belt?

I can under stand your concerns but my thoughts would wrap the paper around a pencil or around a dowel and just scuff the groove  . I believe i would prefer that over something sticky on the belt .    

Edited by DFH

Violin bow rosin was recommended to me, it worked pretty well.

I'm with DFH. Over time and use that coating in the pulley grooves will wear off anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions!:)  I'll try lightly sanding and will report back on the results.

Try cutting off a half inch of the belt and punch a new #0 hole and clamp it together. The belt will eventually stretch out a little but will have better grip until then.

There is a solution sold at auto parts stores that can be sprayed or brushed onto v-belts to avoid slippage and squeal. Something called "Belt No Slip" or the likes.

Another option I have used on belts that are older and a bit stiff is to make a hole with an awl and use thread and a needle to connect the ends going round and round through the  ends that leaves a more flexible joint than the wire clip and on older belt it is less likely to break out at the hole. I did this 30 years ago and its still going. It broke out at the clip in 2 days.  The rosin works too,  rodeo riders use it all the time on gloves and bull ropes.

2 hours ago, catskin said:

Another option I have used on belts that are older and a bit stiff is to make a hole with an awl and use thread and a needle to connect the ends going round and round through the  ends that leaves a more flexible joint than the wire clip and on older belt it is less likely to break out at the hole. I did this 30 years ago and its still going. It broke out at the clip in 2 days.  The rosin works too,  rodeo riders use it all the time on gloves and bull ropes.

Plus 1 on this reply!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!  I ordered rosin from amazon, should be here in 2 days.  I didn't make it out to the store today to purchase sandpaper, plan on going tomorrow. Is there a special type grit of sandpaper you would recommend?

With the rosin you may not need to sand paper the pulley.  Just rib it on  the belt. What I do is hold the rosin in my hand or warm it up a bit and run the belt through my hand.  Its best to crush it a bit to a powder.  It can be bought at most tack shops cheap.  I bought about 1/2 lbs. for a couple dollars a few years ago.

Thanks everyone!  I found some sandpaper and lightly sanded the pulley and the belt as it was new (I didn't see catskin's message above - LOL)  It's working better and only slipped when I tried more than 2 layers of leather (upholstery).  I'll experiment with different size needles.  Here is a sample of the stitch out.  

IMG_0084smaller.jpg

If you ever do get the belt to grab better (by shortening it, treating it, etc), one thing you should do, is that when you're not using the machine, slip the belt off the pulley, and leave it slack - It won't get so stretched out that way - This is a good practice with any leather belt treadle machine.

Thank you for the suggestion about slipping the belt off.  Will make that a habit along with regular oiling :)