Cornfed

Looking to make a new table

Im currently wanting to build me a new table/bench to work on my leather projects.  Would like to get a idea of what everyone else uses. Also would like to see any custom made tool holders, mine are all laying in a tool box and I'm wanting to move them to a place that would be less cluttered up!   

I found the simplest storage of tools solution was some car mechanics tool drawer units. I have one for 'stamping', one for 'sewing & riveting', one for 'cutting, skiving & punching' and another for extra and odd tools eg spare hammers/mallets. The 'Sewing' drawer unit sits atop a drawer/cupboard wheeled base, it all contains my threads, laces,  boxes of ready-rivets. The 'stamping' one also sits on a wheeled unit, it all holds all my letter and fancy stamps except the handled tool stamps, the unit also holds boxes of conchos and bag fittings etc. The 'Cutting' unit sits on the lower shelf of my work bench, as does the spare drawer unit. The handled stamp tools are stored in artists paint-brush box units, afair I think each unit holds 64 stamps up-right. These sit on top my workbench. These paint-brush holders cost me about £2 each

hth

I use a mechanics type tool chest, which has a cupboard base and a stack of various sizes of drawers

I work on a steel office desk with an extra sheet of wood on top

You might find these videos by Ian Atkinson useful - 

'Making a Leather Tool Board'   and 'Leodis Leather Workshop Renovation'  and   'Leodis Leather Workshop Tour'

Edited by zuludog

I built myself a new bench recently my original just wasn't big enough and honestly my new one isn't big enough i wish i would have made it deeper i use pegboard to hold some of my tools and i just picked up a small craftsman 2 drawer box to hold most of my punches and all of my knives and i have 2 shelves above with cheap harbor freight bins to organize all of my scrap and on the left side next to the legs i have a few pull out trays one for my thread one for edge paint and one for a box with all my sandpaper and sanding blocks 

I have to agree with others and recommend any of the standard rolling! tool boxes used everywhere. This can be a gettr done now solution. We probably can all agree some nice custom wood cabinets full of drawers are excellent also.

Many of these portable options you can get in different colors and widths including "depths" these days. I really got hooked on a decent style and in blue from menards, a big box store. Picked these up a couple years ago and as expected they just work great. 

I really like and seriously recommend any storage to have wheels, In my past and present shop/work area situations mobile is good. 

On another hot topic, this pertains to many materials. That is some separated, and lets say project types. I say that looking forward! without further hot air. This is specifically for flat pattern storage. I think everyone has some templates and or some material type patterns, I found these benefit from a flat storage.

We can get all upset taking away storage area for leather we may want stored flat, so another flat shelf or Several shelf's could be tip for your plans.

Getting to the working end of this is a table for ya. Probably a good mention is your idea of size availability, or present build need. With this I believe some better tips can be posted.  But hey! pics and photos are no doubt always cool, quite a few tips get added in just from these.

good day

Floyd