I had a custom karambit made for my big ol' meaty hands by a local knifemaker, I made a vertical sheath for it when I first got it but I've come to prefer/love horizontal carry. I also love/prefer friction fit sheaths for ease of access and don't like straps for retention. While perusing the interwebs I came across the idea of magnets for retaining a blade that kydex sheath makers have been using, I also read a topic here on this forum too. So I decided to try my hand at using magnets and so far I love the results!

So far it is holding very well for my use, I don't think it would hold should I fall down a mountain but that would be the least of my problems if that came to be :) . 

I used 8/9oz leather, 2/3oz for the inlay ring,  rattlesnake skin, Fiebings Oxblood dye, acrylic resolene and Tandy's super waxy 1mm thread (which I prefer for sheaths to add some life-length to the thread in my sheaths). I cut a circle from the 8/9oz, filled with rattlesnake skin and 3 neodymium magnets, and covered it with 2/3 oz leather on the inside to hold the magnet and protect the blade. I tried with 1 magnet which didn't hold, two did but I found that three fit the width better (and perhaps holds stronger). I jogged in place and jumped up and down with the sheath and didn't really feel it shifting or coming out so I think that it will work for my lifestyle. 

Feel free to critique my work too (I haven't figured out how to get my stitches to look great when saddle stitching two layers together and NOT going over the upper layer instead going off to the side to not cross over the upper layer and having the thread cut into it, if that makes sense). Oh and the edges in many of these pictures were taken before finishing the edges. The last picture is of the original sheath I made at first.  All thoughts and comments welcome :) 

large_Kuko.JPG.5df125fcfce6edce8d1b19be48519c96.JPGlarge.Kuko1.JPG.a7d7cb8cde852b9e2233c2985b132c9d.JPGlarge.Kuko2.JPG.e6f178f909c5cc966d4f2d83c1039b4d.JPGlarge.Kuko3.JPG.12552bb7552f5a00755649b21981fc61.JPGlarge.Kuko4.JPG.cc21a613de6c735db5088e80a5ff0dd7.JPGlarge.Kuko5.JPG.b3e2ad1c1e252b4aa6717f852a543638.JPGlarge.Kuko6.JPG.1ddc0bb75e2f247f411512b71b0d7235.JPG

Ooo! Pretty!

Cool work following the edge near the hilt! Looks good!

19 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Ooo! Pretty!

7 hours ago, kiwican said:

Great job !

4 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Cool work following the edge near the hilt! Looks good!

Thank you all! I'm stoked to finally be able to wear this one pretty much every day!