Very nice,

thats some serious carving

GreT job young man, keep up the beautiful work you have a great future in leatherwork!

Very sharp.  You do excellent work.  

Just beautiful!!

Edited by benlilly1

Thank you all for the kind words!

@VYO Thanks! Believe it or not, I did not use a lifter at all in this piece. I used the b935 beveler for all the "lifting." It worked really well although it was a bit time-consuming.

@bland Thank you! I agree. I asked the owner if she would like the corners rounded but she said not to round them to make it more box-like. Also, I would have braided rather than looped but the deadline came too soon and the only lace I had was so thick that the braiding would have been awkwardly bulky.

@JLSleather I woulda dun some different things too... but it ain't my bag! :)

@Rbarleatherworks I used fiebing's tan antique finish and then used super shene. The best thing that made it look good was a layer of pure olive oil and a few hours of sunshine.

@JKHelms I used Tandy's craftool pro bar grounders... BUT, I did not like them. The dots stick too easily inside the holes and tear out occasionally. I think I'll try barry king bar grounders next.

@Retswerb tooling took 66 hours...:rolleyes2: the whole thing took a little over 100 hours...:wacko: Yes... I'm a very slow leathercrafter!

-Ryan

tooling took 66 hours...:rolleyes2: the whole thing took a little over 100 hours...:wacko: Yes... I'm a very slow leathercrafter!

... If slow gets you that kind of results ... then by all means go slow!!

- Bill

12 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

I used the b935 beveler for all the "lifting." It worked really well although it was a bit time-consuming.

It worked out really well. I have some lifters but still need to practice with them. I also have 935 so I'll try that too. If I can do 1/4 as well as you did I'd be super pleased. ;)

Wow! The tooling is fantastic.

Ryan,

Good GOD son! You truly have God given Talent! 

Beautiful work. You really are gifted. And I PREDICT that you WILL Receive the Al Stholman award in the near future!

Keep up the Beautiful work!

Rusty (Glendale)

So young... Yet so much talent.  keep up the great work!

On 2/23/2019 at 6:46 PM, rustyj58 said:

Ryan,

Good GOD son! You truly have God given Talent! 

Beautiful work. You really are gifted. And I PREDICT that you WILL Receive the Al Stholman award in the near future!

Keep up the Beautiful work!

Rusty (Glendale)

Thanks! 

Will you be going to the Leather Worker's trade show in Prescott this week? I'm excited to go for the first time probably Friday and Saturday.

Gorgeous piece ! every aspect looks great !  Your not headed to the big leagues though ?  YOUR ALREADY THERE !  Great work !!!!!!!

That’s amazing, might have to meet up with you. I will bring the sweet tea.:)

3 hours ago, Wild Bill46 said:

Gorgeous piece ! every aspect looks great !  Your not headed to the big leagues though ?  YOUR ALREADY THERE !  Great work !!!!!!!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bubblehead said:

That’s amazing, might have to meet up with you. I will bring the sweet tea.:)

Sounds good! I go to Tandy leather on palo verde rd often. If you ever want to meet up to ask questions or just chat, pm me and we'll figure out a time to meet up.

LOL...that's my local Tandy as well........

Impressive as usual! At your age, I hope you stick with this because you work is already amazing and can't imagine what it could be in 10 years!

22 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Thanks!

Sounds good! I go to Tandy leather on palo verde rd often. If you ever want to meet up to ask questions or just chat, pm me and we'll figure out a time to meet up.

Will do.

As others have indicated, the piece is amazing.  I particularly like the 3-D effect and the photo you took at an angle shows it off nicely.  I've seen some work that just didn't have the depth to really make the flowers "stand out" so to speak.

One question I did have is the attachment of the braided handles to the bag itself.  How did you accomplish that on this project?  I could see where that could be a bit tricky.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, Tugadude said:

As others have indicated, the piece is amazing.  I particularly like the 3-D effect and the photo you took at an angle shows it off nicely.  I've seen some work that just didn't have the depth to really make the flowers "stand out" so to speak.

One question I did have is the attachment of the braided handles to the bag itself.  How did you accomplish that on this project?  I could see where that could be a bit tricky.

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply. Hardware probably would have been better, but the lady wanted it this way. I glued and stitched the ends of the braids to the panel, then glued and stitched the shield cover over it. I did a practice piece and pulled on it as hard as I could and it wouldn't budge. So as long as she doesn't carry gold ingots in the bag I think it'll be alright. :)

On 1/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, Rolandranch said:

20190105_124717.jpg.86d7a9b4cceb560bacc30c932266a3b6.jpg

Great work. I love that you both date and  number them. :0)