ChicagoScreech

Hand press help

I've been trying to decide on the following hand presses. Craftool pro press, little wonder or Osbourne hand machine. The problem is no one machine offers all the dies I want.

My questions:  1.  Are any of the dies compatible with each other?  

2.  If not, what are the sizes of the dies for each machine, or the size of hole's on each machine.  (If it came down to it, I could buy the machine with smallest holes and use lathe to turn down posts on larger diameter dies to fit or make/buy adapter)

I only have the Crafttoo Pro. 

Both holes seem to be the same at 3/8th of an inch. 

No idea on cross-compatibility. 

Check out Goldstar. 

https://goldstartool.com/heavy-duty-press-for-grommets-snaps-buttons-rivets-die-set.html

I just tried mine out this weekend. Works great, inexpensive, plenty of dies (also inexpensive), and supplies availability.

19 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Check out Goldstar. 

https://goldstartool.com/heavy-duty-press-for-grommets-snaps-buttons-rivets-die-set.html

I just tried mine out this weekend. Works great, inexpensive, plenty of dies (also inexpensive), and supplies availability.

What are the post sizes?  Do you only use their hardware?  Lot of them are listed as metric.

3 hours ago, ChicagoScreech said:

What are the post sizes?  Do you only use their hardware?  Lot of them are listed as metric.

I'm not sure. The tops of the dies are threaded (which is more than Tandy has to offer). And the bottoms are smooth and maybe 10mm. 

They have tons of stuff to offer. And at their prices it wouldn't take a big investment over time to have a press for the main dies you use.

This press came with a lot purchase. It worked fine with the line 20 snaps it came with. It did not work with the line 20 off brand snaps I had. I didn't try the few Tandy brand snaps I have. I guess I need more line 20 snaps.

I can't testify to the durability of their hardware as I just got this press. The buckle guy's prices may be comparable and I did hear his snaps are solid brass.

YMMV.

Goldstar Tool. I have their press also. I love it and the dies they have.

I have purchased snaps from them but they seem a little weak. Sometimes the back bends when I'm releasing a snap on thinner materials. I'm working through them and have purchased new line 20s from ahkwokbuckles.com and they look better than the Goldstar snaps. I haven't tested any of them yet but they look a little sturdier than the Goldstar snaps.

Edited by VYO

I did some more digging at Goldstar and found that they have adapters to fit their dies to other presses and vice versa.

I ordered some bag hardware, swivels, square d rings, and the like. It arrived today and looks pretty nice.

It was really inexpensive.

Edited by bikermutt07