YinTx

Practice Flower Done

So after a long time, finally finished the practice flower.  Thought I'd show off the results of everyone's suggestions!  Tooled it on some Hermann Oak Shoulder with a big ole scar running down the center, but still came out ok!  First time using Amy Roke linen thread as well, in 632.  I like it ok, seemed to have a tendency towards friability while stitching, so had to wax more often.

YinTx

PhoneCaseLoRes.thumb.JPG.0e359c60baecddbdad6e17ccabb9e6f6.JPG

That is beautiful! The tooling and stitching are great! I haven't heard of Amy Roke linen. I'll go check that out.

That is certainly LIGHT YEARS better than my first flower! Very nicely done!

@VYO, thank you.

@Sheilajeanne, certainly not the first flower I've tooled (or drawn) but the first flower I have drawn myself that I've been happy with!  I had a separate post in Critique my work where I asked for pointers to draw and tool floral work, and this is the result.  Thanks for the compliment!

YinTx

Gorgeous work!

That turned out really nice @YinTx!

Another flawless piece!

Beautiful design, beautiful Carving, perfect stitching!

What you are telling about the thread might for my Level of understanding as well be chinese. I'm using  thick prewaxed thread from Tandy. Some of it responds to the lighter flame after finishing the stitching, some of it doesn't. That's all I can say. Seems that I have to do some research in this field.

Nice one, I like the 'double border'.

7 hours ago, SickMick said:

Gorgeous work!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, battlemunky said:

That turned out really nice @YinTx!

Thank you battlemunky!

6 hours ago, LederRudi said:

Another flawless piece!

Beautiful design, beautiful Carving, perfect stitching!

What you are telling about the thread might for my Level of understanding as well be chinese. I'm using  thick prewaxed thread from Tandy. Some of it responds to the lighter flame after finishing the stitching, some of it doesn't. That's all I can say. Seems that I have to do some research in this field.

Appreciate that!  This was the last iteration of a design I had come up with on my own, based on some other floral work I had seen.  Took some pointers from folks here to get this version!

Thread is an interesting thing, for me anyhow.  Different brands, different sizes, different materials of construction, and different winding techniques give different results.  This is probably the only Chinese thread I have used that I find acceptable.  There may be others, just that I haven't used them yet!  Most of the threads that you can finish off with flame are synthetic threads with polyethylene or nylon, one will flare up and stay burning fast the other usually needs to have a flame on it continuous to burn/melt.  Linen threads don't melt, but they will burn, like a cotton, since they are made from the fibers of flax plants.  The more you use different types, the more you will discover what fits your style the best!

5 hours ago, robs456 said:

Nice one, I like the 'double border'.

Thank you.  The border is done with a push beader, some folks make it look simple, it has taken me a lot of ruined pieces just to learn how to get it to come out halfway decent!

YinTx

Thanks for the info!