Sign in to follow this  
lovetocreate

SInger 29-4 Grease vs Oil?

I'm the new owner of a Singer 29-4 machine, this is my first experience with a machine of this type.    I have a reprint of the manual which shows oiling points; I've circled the areas in red where I think it might be better to use a grease rather than and oil.  When these machines were made, they didn't have the types of machine lubricants that exist now.    Since there are  "gears" on the machine , would it be better to grease these areas rather than  oil them?  If so, would something like Tri-Flow TF23004 Clear Synthetic Grease be a good grease to use?   Any other areas where grease might be better?  Which oil would be better to use on the areas the areas that need oiling Lily white or Triflow?  On my embroidery machines, I was told by several techs at different shops to use triflow on them instead of regular machine oil. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help.

oiling back red.jpg

oiling front red.jpg

I would  say it is always good to look for better ways to do things .

I looked up triflow and it appears to be a good product but with an added cost .

When you consider the age of some of the machines still in service and still going strong .   With some being in production setting with just oil .  It seem to me just good sewing machine oil has proven to have served the sewing industry well . 

Consider routine oiling as the most important factor !

Lets never forget any oil is better than no oil ..

Thank you DFH!

DFH is right,oil is the best,clear mineral sewing machine oil.The grease can dry up & cause the roller to stop turning & make a flat spot on it.

Thank you CowboyBob.  I'll stick with clear oil, I want my machine to keep running for a long time.  Would it be something it it lasted another 100 years?!

On 1/11/2019 at 9:49 AM, CowboyBob said:

DFH is right,oil

what is DFH?

2 hours ago, PrePro said:

what is DFH?

DFH is the handle of the member who posted the first reply to this topic, on January 10, 2019. Scroll UP.

well now I wish I could delete my post lol.   Thanks @Wizcrafts - and not just for this answer but for all your incredibly helpful posts.

So, use a good clear sewing machine oil, no grease, and there's no such thing as DFH oil.  :oops:    lol....

You might try STP.  that is what I use on the cam races.  It is thicker than oil but thinner than grease.  I find it work great as a lubricant in those areas.

glenn