zuludog

Kevlar Thread Questions

I mostly make sheaths and sew with linen thread as I prefer that to synthetic

But I thought I'd make a couple of belts, and sew them with synthetic thread, which is stronger than linen

I was going to use Tandy's waxed nylon, then I saw some kevlar thread in my local Tandy store, reduced from £36 to £12 a roll, so I thought I'd try that. Now I have a couple of questions -

How can I secure the thread at the end of stitching? It doesn't melt and bead up when heated with a lighter flame. I've tied a knot in a sample length and that seems to work OK; do you think it will stay secured long - term without unravelling?

I've seen a video where they cut through a nylon cable tie with kevlar thread. I'm assuming they were able to do that as they used the thread in a sawing motion. If the belt end is sewn down securely and there's no movement I'm hoping that the thread won't cut the leather; any comments?

Thanks   Zuludog

I guess testing will be your best indicator of suitability, but I am thinking back-sewing 2 or 3 stitches might lock the end of the thread. I don't think glue will be helpful because (as far as I am aware) Kevlar is fairly slick and does not glue well.

Edited by Rockoboy

Thanks; I was thinking of something like that. 

So I'll finish it as I do for linen - backstitch  3 or 4 spaces then push the needles between the layers, tie it off, and do my best to hide the knot. I think the only way to find out what it's like is to just try it

There are some better knots for joining braid fishing line, which I believe is similar to kevlar. You might find some knots will slip, so I suggest you tie a couple and see if you can make them slip on a test piece before using them on a project.

Beat ya to it!

I've tried the surgeon's knot on a short length of the thread already, and that is holding. Look it up on Google, it is basically a reef knot with an extra turn .

You can see I go backpacking; I've been using that on nylon guylines & cord  for years and it works well enough

Thanks for the advice though

Be careful with some of the stronger stuff, I used Spectrafiber for a bit and the beadstress that sold it to me said "if you try to tie this too tight you'll find fingers on the ground." I try not to imagine someone trying to snap off the excess by just yanking a thread that thin and strong. Like others have stated for finishing I just back stitch down a few holes and then used a curved needle to come between the plies, use a finishing knot and tuck it back in between the plies. Since it's backstitched down a few holes it receives virtually no tension and if it's tucked back in it receives no abrasion and is hidden from view.

Edited by CelticPrint