Sign in to follow this  
Mark3031

New from West Virginia

I've been reading post for a couple weeks so I decided to introduce myself.  I moved to West Virginia about 3 years ago.

I've been messing around with leather for about a year as a hobby.  started with a Tandy starter kit.  My projects are only what people need at the time.  its amazing how many friends mysteriously need knife sheaths when they find out you can make them.  I've also made a banjo strap for my brother, a couple bracelets for gifts and a gun strap. 

If I'm not making a leather project then I'm usually hunting, fishing and working in the garden  This time of year is my slow outdoor time so that's why I started leather.

I've seen a couple post that mention repetition projects to practice.  not sure how to do that since I've only repeated the same project once. I like to figure out different ways to make something, so even my sheaths are all made differently.  I have been talking about selling some things just to replenish my supplies (maybe a guitar strap).  I like this as a hobby and if I turn it into a business I may lose the "fun" factor, so I need to find a happy medium.  

My biggest problem is that i can't cut a straight line if my life depended on it.  another issue is that I don't have power tools to assist in drilling holes, sewing or sanding.  my projects look good to my friends but i really see my mistakes.  This site has been helping with several issues I've been running into.  

i don't talk much so I may not post often, but I do read a lot of the post.  

here are a couple things I've done

this is a banjo strap and the first thing I did after the Tandy kit

20180318_131150_resized.thumb.jpg.3f947a1617537f5cd9988e2f9b799278.jpg

I needed a sheath for my hunting knife so I made this.  it has hidden agenda too.  i eventually want to make a holster of this style.  so I practiced with this

20180914_231444_resized.thumb.jpg.9d8ea5a9869fc219212733a61c70dc4d.jpg

my little brother wanted a holder for his leatherman so i made this.  one issue i had was molding after I stamped it.  It lost a lot of the details

20190106_101031_resized.thumb.jpg.e2e756e43873028e1dcdde4f8315131b.jpg

Welcome to the 'funny farm' that is leatherwork. Looking good for your 1st few projects. I learn something every project, such as the order for stamping and wet moulding.

Try out a batch of 10 or 20 drink coasters or book marks or key tags ... anything that you can do fairly cheaply and give to people. You will learn a lot about cutting after cutting out that lot. Then move on to edge bevelling, etc etc.

Most important thing of all? Enjoy what you do.

Not too shabby, nice work