afdfirefighter

How do I make this curve when going from 1.5" down to .75" and do it consistenly

What is the easiest way to do this and do it consistent each time? Should I have a dye made or is there a punch I can use to accomplish this? Thank you in advance. 

asd.JPG

If you are making a lot of them, then getting a cutting die made is the way to go. 
If you are making a few of them, then make a durable template for this (out of heavy cardstock, or plastic). Then you lay it on the leather and trace around it to get that same shape over and over. 

7 minutes ago, DJole said:

If you are making a lot of them, then getting a cutting die made is the way to go. 
If you are making a few of them, then make a durable template for this (out of heavy cardstock, or plastic). Then you lay it on the leather and trace around it to get that same shape over and over. 

Thank you. Is there a site that has pre-made (standard-ish) dyes? I would imagine there is something out there similar to what I am doing or that I can make work. 

The thing about making your own template, is that it conforms to exactly to what you want to do. Short of going the custom die route, you can make as many bad, failed ones as you want, keeping only the one that is perfect. At least, that's what I did! Cheap, effective, and cheap. 

Jeff

I take a couple of extra minutes to make  "2-step templates" for something like this.
First,  is to do it with paper cut to the full width. Fold it in half. Draw the radius, then cut it while folded. Both sides will be perfectly symmetrical. This is a BIG help.

Then, trace that onto some poster board and cut it out. You now have a template that will last multiple uses.

2 minutes ago, JazzBass said:

Then, trace that onto some poster board

I'm a bit hurry-er than that .. a bit of spray adhesive on the paper and the posterboard, stick it, and go.  Eliminates errors from tracing too ;)

IF you decide you are making enough to justify a die, just make yer paper pattern, get it the way you want it, and send it to Sandy. They'll make a die right from your paper pattern.

1 minute ago, JLSleather said:

I'm a bit hurry-er than that .. a bit of spray adhesive on the paper and the posterboard, stick it, and go.  Eliminates errors from tracing too ;)

That's why you're a pro and I'm still having "forehead slap" moments. ROFL!
...but I'll take it as a compliment for the paper/symmetry concept :)  (at least I got something right!)

Because you have two holes, . . . this is a natural for a kydex template.

Of course, . . . make a "perfect" pattern in paper, . . . transfer it to a piece of kydex (get it at Tandy leather shop), . . . punch two holes, . . . lay template on leather, . . . mark and punch holes, . . . lay template back on leather, . . . drop couple of small bolts into the holes to hold template from moving, . . . grab the razor knife an start cutting.

They will be as perfectly symmetrical as you are able to cut them, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

54 minutes ago, Dwight said:

drop couple of small bolts into the holes to hold template

Yup, that would work (folks usedta call them "pilot" holes, maybe now it's something more ... sensitive?).

IF you decide to have a die made, I would have them add the punches for the holes too.  One "hit" and it's done.  Sandy's smart, she's prolly gonna recommend that you use tapped holes in the die, and then insert threaded punch tubes.  It's more money of course, locating the holes in the die, but MUCH easier to sharpen or replace if they're made to come out.

Edited by JLSleather

I am now using my 3D Printer to make 2mm thick PLastic templates for all my items, takes about 30-60 min for most sizes, gives a firm and consistent tracing edge, stands up to knocks etx and about 20 min of 3d software to draw, also makes tangents with curves as smooth as possible and as much detail as you require