IMG_2519.jpg

I drive a 2011 GMC and my key fob broke away from the ring, when I inquire how much for a new fob they quoted me $112.00 plus labour for programming. Well here's what I came up with, made from scrap leather and now reattached to my ring and it didn't cost me $112. The only thing I would have done differently would be to cut the pouch to an oval and not square, but since it was only my second project, I figured keep it simple : )

Edited by Brownie1
Forgot to add text

Well done you!. Stick it to the man 

The key fob is only held in place by the tightness of the leather, that being the stitching and the rivet. Hopefully it doesn't move around inside the pouch too much once the leather stretches; time will tell :). If I have to replace the battery I will have to rip the stitches and then restitch.

54 minutes ago, Brownie1 said:

The key fob is only held in place by the tightness of the leather, that being the stitching and the rivet. Hopefully it doesn't move around inside the pouch too much once the leather stretches; time will tell :). If I have to replace the battery I will have to rip the stitches and then restitch.

Replace the rivet with a Chicago screw.

1 hour ago, Brownie1 said:

If I have to replace the battery I will have to rip the stitches and then restitch.

Sounds like too much work, sell the truck before the battery runs out instead...

A penny saved ...

Great idea.

I would probably have used a snap strap to make it easier to remove the fob.

The Chicago screw and snap strap sounds like a good idea, all of which I'll have to order in. Where does everyone order their hardware from?

I get a lot of stuff from Ohio Travel Bag and Buckleguy.com. Occasionally Tandy.

Jeff

I get stuff from SLC, ahkwok buckles, Tandy, Gold Star Tool and probably a couple other places I can't think of right now.

1 hour ago, VYO said:

I get stuff from SLC, ahkwok buckles, Tandy, Gold Star Tool and probably a couple other places I can't think of right now.

Hey guys, how much would you pay for 48 leather engraving tools? I have an opportunity to buy some used tools for about $250.00, just trying to get some suggestions. The seller did not post who the manufacture is.

Thanks for you suggestions for all the fastener sites, I've bookmarked them all.

41 minutes ago, Brownie1 said:

Hey guys, how much would you pay for 48 leather engraving tools? I have an opportunity to buy some used tools for about $250.00, just trying to get some suggestions. The seller did not post who the manufacture is.

Thanks for you suggestions for all the fastener sites, I've bookmarked them all.

If they are Barry King or the like that’s cheap. If newer Tandy almost full price. I’m assuming you are talking about stamps. Post a link or pic and people can get a better idea of what there is.