Bamby02

Is this leather any good?

I'm looking to get myself into leathercraft and and I would like to know if leather I plan to pick is any good, or should look elsewhere since it's cheapest from what I found. What do you think about the quality if that can be told just from the look on the website? I intend to do wallets and these will be my first projects so it doesn't have to be top quality, but I also don't want to spend my money on useless stuff. I picked 2 different thickness for outside/inside.

https://buyleatheronline.com/en/home/41-natural-vegetable-thin-baby-calfskin.html#/8-color-beige_natural/33-average_size_of_the_whole_piece-13_m_144_sq_ft_16_yd/161-size-whole_piece/76-grade_quality-low_3_grade

https://buyleatheronline.com/en/home/135-vegetable-tan-calf-sides.html#/8-color-beige_natural/40-average_size_of_the_whole_piece-2_m_22_sq_ft_24_yd/76-grade_quality-low_3_grade/162-size-half_piece

If you can afford to gamble, you might consider ordering something to see what you get. Personally I would be hesitant, as there are imperfections in most hides, and if what you get is not to your expectations, it will be a lot of trouble returning the item and getting a refund from what looks like an offshore company. I would say "buyer beware."

If you are in the USA and just looking to buy a small amount of leather, I suggest Springfield Leather.  They are a sponsor here and they have good deals on smaller orders of leather.  If you want a side, try Wickett & Craig - great leather at a fair price and they will split it to the weight you want.

Gary

I've just had a look at those websites. I notice there are 3 grades; 1, 2, & 3; and that you can buy half sized pieces, priced accordingly. Why not get a half sized piece of each, mid grade, grade 2, and see how you go on; it wouldn't be too expensive. Sometimes you've just gotta try it

Beware, though the prices seem reasonable, check for shipping costs, import duty, international handling charges, exchange rates, and so on

And if you do decide you like the stuff, perhaps you should buy a stack of it before we Leave the EU! (assuming you live in the UK)

Nigel Armitage has a video on 'Making a Simple hand made wallet' or some similar title. It is well worth watching

Alright, I know I'm going off topic here, but as you say you are just starting, you might like this suggestion - You can make interesting and attractive variations by using different coloured thread. This lady sells short lengths of coloured linen thread from reputable makers at reasonable prices. Contact her directly to find out what she can supply

https://kurzke.co.uk 

Edited by zuludog

I checked the different grades descriptions and I do plan to order half of each but the low 3 grade, which should be ok for wallets at least I hope so.

There are no extra costs except of maybe 6 eur or so for shipping and gladly don't have to stock buy that since I'm from Slovakia.

Yeah, I've seen that video, also plan to buy his wallet templates.

I know people generally prefer the Tiger thread (can't remember full name) but I plan to buy some from leathercraftstool, together with the whole equipment (I'm bit tight on a budget, everything including leather needs to be under 200e). Do you think it would be better to contact her or to buy a specific higher grade thread?  The one I plan to buy is 4e/48m waxed thread.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:47 PM, Bamby02 said:

I'm from Europe actually, so Italy based company is ok

europe is a big territory - don't you have tandy stores in there?

Don't you think that's a bit condescending, it sound like you don't rate European leather and suggest Tandy is better

1 hour ago, nrk said:

europe is a big territory - don't you have tandy stores in there?

Aparts from one branch in England and one in Spain all Tandy branches are located in the USA and Canada.

On 1/20/2019 at 2:16 AM, chrisash said:

Don't you think that's a bit condescending, it sound like you don't rate European leather and suggest Tandy is better

'it's cheapest from what I found' - this means he/she looks for cheap stuff

1 hour ago, nrk said:

'it's cheapest from what I found' - this means he/she looks for cheap stuff

What's wrong with reducing costs?

On 1/21/2019 at 4:42 PM, Matt S said:

What's wrong with reducing costs?

nothing wrong with reducing costs unless the quality gets down ;)

Just my $.02 but only one of the photos shows the flesh side and it looks pretty hairy to me. Learning leather is hard enough without starting out with a hairy backside. Don't ask me how I know that. ;) On the other hand you could learn about how to try and tame that kind of flesh side and make it look finished.