bermudahwin

Help everyone to help you

I often read requests for help, mainly the ones on 'where can I buy this or that?' type of subject, where the member has not put his or her location in their profile.

The result is that people will figure out answers, often going to the trouble to get and post web addresses etc, that are irrelevent to the poster as they are on different continents.

Please could you put your location in your profile; not your home town or state necessarilly (although someone may offer to help out on a one to one basis if you're close enough) but a hint such as UK, USA, Eastern Europe could really be useful.

Some of us are trying to make a living, but are happy to help, but it is a bit deflating to find out you may have recommended popping into Tandy for a chat, when the OP is in Timbuktoo.

Thanks guys

H

I would add to this, to use more complete or descriptive titles on your posts.

Simply saying "Leather Dye" or "Question about Leather Dye" or even "Mixing Leather Dye" is not  descriptive enough -- whereas, "OD Green Dye Recipe" works! 

Someone knows what they are getting into when they click on it.

nick

Sadly, with hindsight I think most of us has been guilty of doing this at one time and some of us maybe slow learner or maybe even repeat offenders of this, but do we need to POLICE it, I don't think so.

May be a quiet word or guidance if needed.

This is only my opinion.

Bert.

Really is a good idea to put your approximate location in your profile.  Makes it much easier to help those requesting help, especially for materials and supplies resources.  (I can check IP addresses, but it takes time to do that.  The forum software changed a few months ago so it is more of a run-around to find the IP location now.  I would sooner be doing other things.)

Tom

Bert...

Yes, we are all guilty of this from time to time and I meant this merely as a suggestion of a "Best Practice".

I do not understand how you took it to mean POLICING.

Was my wording too heavy handed? If so, I humbly apologize...

nick

No Nick you where not being heavy handed, I may have been guilty of going to far by suggesting it, but I do not want great web site end up like some I have been a member of over the years, where mod's removed posts if they did not like the way they where worded or not worded according to their rules.

Yes it would be nice if we all followed the guidelines, but as a new user, we make mistakes or do not follow guidelines the Mod's do.

We need to guide new user as to how we want them to use this list and not as I said Police it. I watch this list for maybe years before i joined and did not post my first post for nearly as long as I have been burnt on forums before, thankfully I have not seen that behavior on this list and this is why I am still here.

This is only my opinion.

Thanks,

Bert.

I would make it mandatory to fill in the location during the registration process the way that registration cannot be complete w/o filling in the location. At least the country for intl. members and for the US members maybe the state as addition.

Yes I agree with you on this one Constabulary.

Bert.

What happens sometimes is a moderator will check the individual's IP address and post their location for them.  Seems like extra work for the mods that they shouldn't have to do.  I agree 100% that people should try to help themselves by being more precise.  If you are asking for help on your stitching, it helps to know what process you currently use, including whether you are using pricking irons, a spacing wheel, stitching chisels, size and type of needle, same for thread, etc.  That information eventually comes out as the proper questions are asked, but lots of time could be saved and more informative answers given if we only knew the facts.  I don't think it is heavy-handed in the least to expect a bit of effort up front.  It generally (hopefully) yields better results in the long run.

I agree and try to do my best!  I live in Wyoming, its really friggin cold here right now, really deep snowdrifts and average wind speed all this last week of 25 to 60 mph, and there is a herd of deer in my front yard, but most folks don't believe there is a Wyoming anyway. lol But I do post my location just in case someone gets stranded on I-80.   I think social media overall has these problems because people from all over the world are on here and cant always converse well in the English language, some have been scared by all the online weirdos who want to steal your id or your property and some just don't want to, people are funny that way. I joined to learn from others as well as pass on any help I can but also to communicate and enjoy the interaction. We can all do better and it would also be nice if when someone posted a question they then responded back to the answers in a sensible timeframe.

deer10.JPG

deer11.JPG

Chuck, my wife and I were in Atlanta Georgia years ago with our kids visiting an amusement park.  Our kids were quite young then and since smart phones and such weren't a thing yet, they had to come up with other ways to amuse themselves.  So they played the license plate game where you try to identify all of the states on your trip.  Or at least as many as possible.

We were walking through the parking lot of the venue and all of the sudden noticed not one, not two, but three vehicles parked close together and all were from Wyoming.  I have to admit my first though was, wow, half the population of Wyoming is in Georgia, who's left to turn out the lights.

I apologize if I offend, but I'm sure you're used to it.  BTW, love the photos of the deer.  I live in a very populated area in the western suburbs of St. Louis and I get tons of deer in my yard.  Saw an 8 pointer the other day.  In fact, there are more deer in my neighborhood at this point than dogs.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:54 AM, Tugadude said:

Chuck, my wife and I were in Atlanta Georgia years ago with our kids visiting an amusement park.  Our kids were quite young then and since smart phones and such weren't a thing yet, they had to come up with other ways to amuse themselves.  So they played the license plate game where you try to identify all of the states on your trip.  Or at least as many as possible.

We were walking through the parking lot of the venue and all of the sudden noticed not one, not two, but three vehicles parked close together and all were from Wyoming.  I have to admit my first though was, wow, half the population of Wyoming is in Georgia, who's left to turn out the lights.

I apologize if I offend, but I'm sure you're used to it.  BTW, love the photos of the deer.  I live in a very populated area in the western suburbs of St. Louis and I get tons of deer in my yard.  Saw an 8 pointer the other day.  In fact, there are more deer in my neighborhood at this point than dogs.

LOL yea it was at least a county full and I might have known them I'm not offended a bit . We have a ton of Deer also My daughter will give em an apple once in a while so now  when they see her they come runnin and follow her around like puppies.

19 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

LOL yea it was at least a county full and I might have known them I'm not offended a bit . We have a ton of Deer also My daughter will give em an apple once in a while so now  when they see her they come runnin and follow her around like puppies.

Thanks for your understanding, I really didn't mean any offense.  I hope to visit Wyoming someday.  The only glimpses of it I've seen is in the movies and it looks like a place I need to check out.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:50 PM, Constabulary said:

I would make it mandatory to fill in the location

This 'information sharing' is out of control

• Nobody needs to know my location to tell me the web site for Hermann Oak. 
  • I've been in about half the states in this country, and ordered stuff from most of those places... didn't matter where I was when ordering - none of those sellers needed my address until it was time to ship something to me. If they aren't shipping me something, then they don't need my address.
  • I have shipped leather all over the world [almost] and my patterns are pretty much everywhere.  ZERO need for me to know where they were until it was time to calculate shipping charges.
  • Bob ships sewing machines, parts, and consumable "accessories" (thread 'n' needles 'n' stuff).  I can give ANYBODY his web site address without knowing ANYTHING about them.  IF they make a purchase, then BOB needs to know their location where they want it... but JEFF has no need (and no business) to know that.

While back, I took one of the boys for a hair cut.  Gal wanted to "register" us - needs our name and phone number. 

FOR WHAT?  You gonna call us when you're ready?  Cuz the  boy will be sitting right over there where you can see him!  Gal says "it's how we put you in the computer". 

WHY do I want to be in your computer? Gal says so we can look you up next time you come in.

IF there's a next time, which isn't guaranteed because we seem to be having trouble getting to THIS time, then he would again be STANDING RIGHT THERE.  You said you do "walk in- no appt needed".. so was that true or not?  You don't need my phone, my address - you don't even need his name - to cut his hair.  So only question is - do you want the job, or NOT?  When faced with that choice, gal decided she'd just cut his hair in exchange for money.. really no need to "register" his information.

SO THEN... when somebody asks "where do you get good leather" or "my sewing machine is weird".... DO YOU REALLY need to know where they are? 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:51 AM, chuck123wapati said:

deer10.JPG

deer11.JPG

They're waiting for breakfast.

34 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Thanks for your understanding, I really didn't mean any offense.  I hope to visit Wyoming someday.  The only glimpses of it I've seen is in the movies and it looks like a place I need to check out.

Lol the movies only show a fraction of this beautiful country and most of that is the touristy part, believe me there is much more that most folks don't even know about.

6 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

LOL yup!

18 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

or to be dinner  :lol:

21 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

SO THEN... when somebody asks "where do you get good leather" or "my sewing machine is weird".... DO YOU REALLY need to know where they are?  

We are very international here so Yes, because its easier to provide information when you at least know what country she / he is from. Often folks like to buy materials from a domestic dealers or a dealer form their "continent" (or similar) rather then from overseas dealers (meaning that causes higher shipping cost and even import taxes and so forth). Also recommending a sewing machine dealer / service  is easier. I doubt many will import machines from the US, UK, Canada Australia or... when they can buy similar machines from their own country or continent!

No one needs the name or full address and no one gets hurt when they provide country and / or state they live in.

Edited by Constabulary

2 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

or to be dinner  :lol:

LOL yup! I feed them in the winter, they feed me in the fall.

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

LOL yup! I feed them in the winter, they feed me in the fall.

thats the food chain  ;)

8 hours ago, JLSleather said:

DO YOU REALLY need to know where they are? 

I don't see much point telling them where in Australia they might get leather or thread or good sewing machine service......so if they can't be bothered  why should I???

If I know they be from this neck of the woods I'm not wastin my time ...............so much.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 6:04 AM, RockyAussie said:

If I know they be from this neck of the woods I'm not wastin my time

I totally agree. A couple times I have responded to requests for information about where to get some item, or a good repairer, when the person has not stated their rough location. I don't bother anymore.

If somebody needs to protect their location so badly, I will respect their wish by not requesting their details to compose my reply accordingly.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:16 PM, Rockoboy said:

I totally agree. A couple times I have responded to requests for information about where to get some item, or a good repairer, when the person has not stated their rough location. I don't bother anymore.

If somebody needs to protect their location so badly, I will respect their wish by not requesting their details to compose my reply accordingly.

What's so ironic is that their exact location and what they are doing is being tracked in multiple ways every minute and they don't even care about that, cell phone, vehicle onstar, every time they run a card, their computer id. LMAO!

20 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

exact location and what they are doing is being tracked in multiple ways every minute and they don't even care about that

Actually, I think you're right.. most DON"T care about that.  I don't think anybody is deliberately "concealing" where they are.  Just for most things it doesn't make any difference.

Today, I commented on a holster you made - according to your profile - in WY.  I would have had the same comments on that holster if you made it in CO.. or OR... or anywhere else. :dunno: I liked that holster, and didn't matter where it was made.

When I order stuff, I give 'em the address where I want it shipped.  Those not sending me stuff don't need the address.  Also - to give me the web site for where I order Hermann Oak sides or machine bobbins doesn't require knowing what I'm having for lunch, who and how many I'm dating, or the underwear i'm wearing.  None of it is national security... just not relevant to the question asked :o  SOmebody wants to NOT answer a question, then don't - no need to even give me a reason why.

I have been play with the internet before it was the internet and everyone was taken at face value, but now if you want a price on an item you have to give your name phone number, address, credit card number and the last time you used your bowels, just for a price.

I still have a web site some where out there and I have turned off all non necessary functions on my phone and turn on my Navman when I need to use it.

But I list my location here, okay you cannot pinpoint me, but if your coming for coffee, I'll give you my phone number as well, just in case you get lost.

But if you do a name search on people who don't show location on forums like this, you can normally find the facebook page and learn more about them then you need to know.

So I think JLSleather is spot on with his comments.

Bert.