JJN

Ideal Clicker Machine Model C

It looks like I am acquiring an Ideal Clicking Machine Model C, made by United Shoe Machinery Corp. I know there are some parts missing in the photos, but they are in a box that is included with the clicker. The motor is 220 volt single phase. I am told it is working, but I need to straighten out the wiring, clean it up and lubricate it.

I found a parts list online but I do not have an instruction or service manual. Any help with those will be appreciated.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with these?

Is it a practical machine to use for leather and fabric or is it a boat anchor?

Any tips on setting it up or using it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

clicker-1.jpg

clicker-2.jpg

clicker-3.jpg

clicker-4.jpg

clicker-5.jpg

clicker-6.jpg

clicker-7.jpg

I may have a copy of the manual. Let me check.

glenn

That would be great @shoepatcher. I'll be looking for your update.

@shoepatcher, were you able to see if you had a copy of the service manual yet?

Thanks,

John

still looking JJN.  thanks for your patience.

Did you ever get this thing running? If so how is it working out?

3 hours ago, David Bruce said:

Did you ever get this thing running? If so how is it working out?

I just got it moved to the shop last week. I'm checking out the wiring. The motor is a Baldor 3hp 220 single phase. The shop has 220 3 phase. I will use legs 1 and 2 of the 3 phase to run the motor at 208 volts. The machine itself needs a few days of cleaning. It has 2 oil ports with spring caps on each side of the vertical casting and 2 open oil ports on the center column. I am still looking for a service manual to properly clean, adjust and lubricate but I will start with some lilly white to get it going. The machine turns over by hand although it is quite an effort to turn the flywheel. The upper arm cycles properly. I need to resurface the Hydrosolid cutting board to level out the wear in the middle, and finally order some clicker dies. I am very stoked about getting this machine. I got it as a trade for a Noveske rifle barrel, which the rifle shop generously donated and a $30 trailer rental to move it to my friends shop. It looks like it will run as it is. I will post some updates as I go.

I am still looking for the service manual.

ideal-model-c.jpg

Edited by JJN
type

YAY! Can't beat the price.

These are great machines once properly adjusted.  However they have one problem

they will double click or worse after a few hours of use.  The internal

clutch will grab the flywheel and the external brake will not be able to stop the engagement.

This is a small issue once you are used to the machine you either back off the clutch

or increase the brake pressure.  The were designed for cutting shoe soles at a rate of

600 pairs a day.

We cleaned, oiled and removed the rust from the table last weekend. It is looking pretty good. It really changed color once we got all the crud off of it. I am rewiring the motor starter and switch next. I was offered the larger main pulley/flywheel and will pick it up later this week. I will probably switch it with the smaller one currently on the machine.

@shoepatcher, any chance you found the service manual for this thing yet?

Here is a current photo of the machine cleaned up and with all the parts put back on.

clicker20190306.jpg

@JJN that cleaned up well. I've had to pass on several clickers of similar vintage due to access problems. As @Constabulary would say, I'm glad to see people keeping vintage iron alive ;-)

JNN,

I will look again at another spot where I keep literature.  That cleaned up wonderfully.  That is  an Ideal Model C clicker by USM.  The produced 1000s' of these.  Yours should have about 1" of travel on the head.  I think these were about a 10 ton power in cutting.  I have seen them retro fitted with another switch so that it took two hands to engage the machine.  A lot of guys lost fingers on these things.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Glenn, I definitely will add a two-hand lockout mechanism on this thing before I put it into use. I like my hands and fingers. Thanks for looking.

John

I do have both manuals but could use help from forum members on a easy way to send to you images.

Don't run till lubed.   I suspect flywheel was changed for a reason.  My machine had the

flywheel machined and brake shoes replaced. I did add a second control for safety, since

I had employees running machine. I use 30 wt. oil.  USMC recommend something special else

it's in the manual.

@ljk, I'm sending my phone number in a message to help with sending.

I’m following, as I recently picked up a model A, and am clueless on the operation of it! 

F08FEE6A-6AB5-40F6-8526-57DD064786CC.jpeg

On 2/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, ljk said:

These are great machines once properly adjusted.  However they have one problem

they will double click or worse after a few hours of use.  The internal

clutch will grab the flywheel and the external brake will not be able to stop the engagement.

This is a small issue once you are used to the machine you either back off the clutch

or increase the brake pressure.  The were designed for cutting shoe soles at a rate of

600 pairs a day.

When this happens does the press clicks at random? While setting the die or moving the head to the die or just after pressing the button to click. I would like to own ten fingers.  

Looks like they still sell those presses on http://www.shoesmachines.com/5-ton-clicker-press.html and they say it is a 5 ton press. I'm looking at getting one of those clicker, to use in cutting shoe uppers. Will it have enough power to cut a full upper? 

Thanks 

George 

@George1520, thanks for that link. It looks like that is a similar design machine but quite a bit smaller. The cutting board on this model C is 18" x 36" and the machine stands over 6 feet tall. The upper beam is 13" x 20". I don't have any official specs on my press but I've been told it is anywhere from 10 to 15 tons pressure. I'll have my clicker running in a couple weeks and I will post again. I don't have any experience with the double clicking problem.

That is tall. Do you know how much it weights? I guess the force is not that important  because I can click it twice. 

Also, what is a good price for a press like this? 

George, I don't know if you're aware but that seller appears to be based in China, which could well be the reason they're reproducing vintage industrial machines without safety measures that are mandatory in most Western nations.

It appears that you're in the US. Why not speak with a dealer in-country? They will be better able to answer your questions, their product will conform to all relevant safety standards, they will probably test their machines before sending out and they will have whatever other features that the modern hydraulic machines have over the older mechanical style.

I’m not buying that one, and I don’t have the money to ship it or buy it from a dealer. The one I’m looking at is local and probably from the 40’s or 50’s, most likely without safety standards. If I get it, I will ad a second switch if I figure out how to do it. Since it runs on momentum it will probably not be electric. 

On 3/6/2019 at 10:01 AM, shoepatcher said:

JNN,

I will look again at another spot where I keep literature.  That cleaned up wonderfully.  That is  an Ideal Model C clicker by USM.  The produced 1000s' of these.  Yours should have about 1" of travel on the head.  I think these were about a 10 ton power in cutting.  I have seen them retro fitted with another switch so that it took two hands to engage the machine.  A lot of guys lost fingers on these things.

glenn

Glen, would you mind making a copy of the manual once you find it? I’ve recently acquired one of these myself! 
Never mind @shoepatcher I see the link above!

is there an operators manual? 

Edited by turbotexas

@turbotexas

Glenn sent me a xerox copy of the instruction manual. I have not scanned the entire manual yet, but I do have some of the pages scanned that goes over the adjustments.

It is too big to upload here so here is a link.

http://johnsr.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/clicker-instructions.pdf

John