JJN

Ideal Clicker Machine Model C

8 minutes ago, JJN said:

@turbotexas

Glenn sent me a xerox copy of the instruction manual. I have not scanned the entire manual yet, but I do have some of the pages scanned that goes over the adjustments.

It is too big to upload here so here is a link.

http://johnsr.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/clicker-instructions.pdf

John

Thank you John! 

1 minute ago, Northmount said:

File uploaded to LW

clicker-instructions.pdf

Tom

Great! Thank you! 

Anyone have a video of the back side while it’s working? 

Well I got mine home and unloaded! This piece had fallen off while the previous owner had it! It’s missing a square nut as well! Reverse thread! Not sure if I’ll be able to find one? 
now I just need to figure out where it goes! 

5DDBC3B3-0485-40C6-BC35-32308D6C94D5.jpeg

83542876-EBB0-47F9-8405-E506A6C1AE19.jpeg

4C15E056-D4A6-4691-B5F7-DE57AD4F6345.jpeg

On 6/5/2019 at 12:51 PM, ozziesleathers said:

On plate 4 part number 947... can you show me where this goes? 

037E2556-8ADE-4B5A-BA11-AB6FD8AAEBCC.jpeg

83900D50-4D71-4763-BB7C-9D6F8155FEB7.jpeg

Is it possible for someone with this type clicker make a video of the rear flywheel rotation? So I can judge if the motor I’ve got installed is turning the flywheel fast enough! 

On 5/25/2020 at 5:50 PM, JJN said:

@turbotexas

Glenn sent me a xerox copy of the instruction manual. I have not scanned the entire manual yet, but I do have some of the pages scanned that goes over the adjustments.

It is too big to upload here so here is a link.

http://johnsr.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/clicker-instructions.pdf

John

Have you had a chance to get the rest of the manual downloaded?

i got mine running the first day, then the motor went bad...

Replaced motor, lubed well, but now it’s not putting enough downward force to cut? 
I did learn that if the pulley on the motor is too large, the speed increases, and gives you a double click! 

I regret not helping you more, but my model c is still in front of the box

truck which I moved to Colorado.  I have had the clicker for so many years that

I operate by muscle memory.  I can tell you that double clicking is a result

of heat built up between clutch surface and flywheel. Properly adjusted I

was able to do about 750 clicks before double clicking.  This was on

small steel rule dies. A fan on the flywheel helped on warm days.  The range

on the adjust wheel on the top was only about  4"   from stuck to not cutting.

Your machine looked like mine which had set outside in Fl. for 3 years.

You may want to invest in a Helmold steel rule bender and some 2 or 3 point

.937 die stock.  The proper way to release a stuck die is backing up the small

flywheel at the top.  I however use a 4' pipe wrench which came with machine.

There is a video on the Red Wing site a 1953 film.        good luck  lynn

7 hours ago, turbotexas said:

Have you had a chance to get the rest of the manual downloaded?

i got mine running the first day, then the motor went bad...

Replaced motor, lubed well, but now it’s not putting enough downward force to cut? 
I did learn that if the pulley on the motor is too large, the speed increases, and gives you a double click! 

I have not scanned the complete manual. I'll try to get it done in my 'spare time'. If you have something in particular you need to see I will try to get that info to you.

I got side tracked so my clicker is not running yet. It came with a fairly new Dayton 3hp single phase 220v motor 1725 rpm. The pulley on the motor is about 6". It came with two flywheels. The  one on it currently is for a wide leather belt and is thick, smooth and heavy but it is a smaller diameter than the extra flywheel that came with it. The extra flywheel is larger diameter and has gear teeth around it for a geared motor drive and also has a groove for a v-belt.

On 6/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, JJN said:

I have not scanned the complete manual. I'll try to get it done in my 'spare time'. If you have something in particular you need to see I will try to get that info to you.

I got side tracked so my clicker is not running yet. It came with a fairly new Dayton 3hp single phase 220v motor 1725 rpm. The pulley on the motor is about 6". It came with two flywheels. The  one on it currently is for a wide leather belt and is thick, smooth and heavy but it is a smaller diameter than the extra flywheel that came with it. The extra flywheel is larger diameter and has gear teeth around it for a geared motor drive and also has a groove for a v-belt.

Well if you use the flat flywheel, the smaller the motor pulley the better... I put a 3.5” pulley in the 1725 RPM motor and it was spinning so fast, that I was getting a double click... 

move got it working for now! It would be nice to have the manual, in case I screw something else up! Lol

On 6/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, ljk said:

I regret not helping you more, but my model c is still in front of the box

truck which I moved to Colorado.  I have had the clicker for so many years that

I operate by muscle memory.  I can tell you that double clicking is a result

of heat built up between clutch surface and flywheel. Properly adjusted I

was able to do about 750 clicks before double clicking.  This was on

small steel rule dies. A fan on the flywheel helped on warm days.  The range

on the adjust wheel on the top was only about  4"   from stuck to not cutting.

Your machine looked like mine which had set outside in Fl. for 3 years.

You may want to invest in a Helmold steel rule bender and some 2 or 3 point

.937 die stock.  The proper way to release a stuck die is backing up the small

flywheel at the top.  I however use a 4' pipe wrench which came with machine.

There is a video on the Red Wing site a 1953 film.        good luck  lynn

Link to the video? 

Hello

I am looking at potentially purchasing one of these machines.  However, it is a 3 phase and I would need to convert it to one phase.  Does anyone know the more economic way to do this.  

I know there are converters out there.  Not sure how specific they are or whether they all work the same.

Happy for any information.  I know it is in working condition, currently.

I am trying to consider what the end cost would be and whether it's worth it once it is moved and converted.

Thanks

Converting to three phase is not an option....

Assuming you have 220 single phase available, I would replace the motor with a new or used one with 220 single phase. The motor on mine is a Dayton 3 horsepower, 1725 rpm.

On 7/19/2020 at 11:53 AM, JJN said:

Assuming you have 220 single phase available, I would replace the motor with a new or used one with 220 single phase. The motor on mine is a Dayton 3 horsepower, 1725 rpm.

^^^What he said... Northern Tool has a motor for $179.00ish? 
even 110 volt motor should work! What I found was the pully size is really important! Too big, and the flywheel rotates too fast, and you get a double click!

i know this because o replaced the whole motor, and had a new pulley size on it! 

hi folks im new here , i have a model C clicker . Im trying to get it running without tearing up something the motor turns but it appears to have a lot of drag , i saw lube points on the side of the machine but im thinking the break band and clutch is having some kind of issues . It will come on and turn but my motor gets really hot and then it double clicks  then it will just spin and not trip is there anyone who works on these things ?

If it came from humid states and has been sitting it is probably all clogged up.  My machine had

been sitting outside in Florida for three years and was a mess.   Download the manual

listed on this post. Lube the bearing on the flywheel hub and back off the big nut a few clicks.

Oil clutch, just squirt the brake band.  I think the brake may be a little snug from grim are debris.

Follow instructions for lubing the motor.  The flywheel should spin very easily.  There is also

some posts on facebook clicker die swap and sell.

Greetings

I have recently bought a Idea Model C and have powered it up and had it running.

Shortly after it went through a mutli click episode and in the process a piece broke that had been poorly welded.

I had it properly welded and put back.  It worked again for a little while.  Now it has stopped engaging and will not click when triggered. 

Just makes the  electrical sound with no movement

This machine was modified to have the dual trigger. I have the manual but am missing pages 40-51.  These pages seem to have several figure references.

The link in the thread did not include these pages. Does anyone else have them?? (the other link was dead or black.)

This is not my strong suit, but I am trying to utilize the manual to do the tedious work needed to know the machine.

Any advice on best starts, pitfalls etc?

Also, here is a picture of how it was modified for the motor.  

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

Edited by Northmount
replaced heic files with jpg files

That’s not what mine looks like? 

Hi Tilda  I may be able to make my model c work but your HEIC downloads gives me chest pains.  Perhaps if you could send your image in a jpeg I can help.  My clicker is now unloaded and working well perhaps I could make a video of the machine in operation.  I'm sure the engagement issue can be resolved.  tx Lynn

Anyone have photos of how the safety lockout is set up on one of these please? 

Hello Lynn

I was going back to see information on the Ideal Clicker Model C and running through the thread and just now saw you reply, sheesh !! Thank you so much!  (I'm not catching any alerts anywhere when someone replies. Anyone with advice on this also appreciated.)

I got it running and then I think the lack of lubrication made it break the part again..I repaired the part again and I think I have a fairly good idea on what the problem is, but I'm not sure how to translate the lubrication oils and greases stated in the manual.

I would love yours or anyone's advice on how to translate...here are jpgs ; ) of those pages... 

I'm also gonna attempt to upload a video or link explaining some issues that I encountered

somewhere for others that come through this thread..

Ieal Clicker Model C Lubrication Chart.jpg

Here is the Lubrication Schematic for the Ideal Clicker Model C

Ideal Clicker Model C Lubrication Schematic.jpg

would you like to sell a part or two?

Nice machine! It's an advantage to bolt a aluminum plate underneath the hammer head. Especially on these mechanical machines because they hit the dies rather than presses like hydraulic machines. This protects both the head and dies. You can also use double sided dies this way. I do have a German Sandt mechanical clicker myself. I would like to see how they retrofitted these with double triggers, if just the power on switch that wouldn't be any good for these. They need to run some revolution after starting to get some moment on the flywheel, thanks.

This is a great topic!

I’ve been thinking about purchasing one of these older clickers. They seem to pop up quite a bit on Facebook. There are several brands out there. 
Is there a brand to stay away from?

Generally are parts available others for some of these older models?

thoughts all welcomed 

thanks

phill