I want to begin sewing leather clothing and bags, in addition to heaving fabric. I've been reading and researching but still unsure of the right machinery. I know I want a walking foot machine with a servo motor, and I think I want a cylinder arm to give me the ability to sew round objects and sleeves, etc. I think a double needle would be helpful, but not sure if it's vital and appears to be difficult to find with a cylinder arm.Also, torn between various brands: Consew, Cobra, Cowboy, Thor and TechSew appear to be good choices. Please share advice on all. Thanks!

Edited by newcordwainer

Consew, Cobra, Cowboy, TechSew all good.  Not sure on Thor.  Being in North Carolina, I would recommend Bills Sewing .  1800 4455657 .   See what they carry since you are close to them.  I dealt with them for 10 years when I lived in NC and they were great.  They may have something  good in a used machine.  Never hurts to ask.

glenn

Thanks Glenn. What are your thoughts on double needle machines and cylinder arm versus flat bed?

Double needle machines are used in upholstery for topstitching across previously sewn seams (that were sewn together inside out). They are also used in the construction of jeans and work clothing to secure and reinforce folded down seams. These are normally flatbed machines with large bobbins with fast clutch motors (time is money in upholstery) driving them at 2000 rpm and above. Turning sharp corners is tricky with twin needles. You won't usually find these machines in hobbyists' leather shops. They are factory machines used by auto seat cover makers and professional upholsterers.

Any flatbed machine gives better support to flat work than a cylinder arm machine. Sitting down at a full size table is much better than trying to fit flat work onto an add-on table attachment on a stand up cylinder arm.

Cylinder arm machines are a must have if you sew things that cannot be held flat on the bottom. This includes shaped holsters, pouches and cases with belt loops and clips sewn or riveted on the back, hats, cue stick bags and round objects and preformed curved straps. Cylinder arm machines are usually built to sew at the very left edge of the arm, allowing shaped work to move below the throat plate level. You cannot do this on a flatbed machine.

Clothing often takes multiple types of sewing machines to assemble. Some jeans require at least 5 different sewing machines. Backpacks and some bags can take two or three machines (flatbed, post bed and cylinder arm).

You will no doubt find that you need more than one machine to do professional work. Some will be light duty and some may be heavy duty. Different builds of machines accept different ranges of thread. You have much to learn and a lot of money to set aside to experiment with.

The simplest way to begin is with a common flatbed walking foot machine and build your inventory as the need reveals itself. Some members here start with a cylinder arm machine and construct or buy a slide or bolt on table attachment. But, if you really need a cylinder arm to sew a part, nothing else will do the same job.

That last post almost needs to be a sticky in itself, as it is a nice summary of the functions of the most commonly used machines.

I live very near Gastonia, and have two Singer 111 w 155 machines for sale. They are in good operating condition,  with L shaped tables and 1/2 hp motors that use 120 volts.  I will let you pick the one you want for $500.00 and I will deliver and help set the table and machine up.