Travis73

Cutting table top material?

I built a 4ft x 6ft workbench to put in the center of my shop. I chose this size because that was the biggest bench that i could fit in the room as i already had a U shaped bench along 3 walls. I also chose that size because I had found a 48"x72" cutting mat at Tek Line. After finishing the bench I sat down to order the cutting mat and read some reviews on it that were less than favorable, apparently it is just rubber sheeting. They have some cartoonish looking product pictures on their website and  now I guess I know why. I am not paying $211 for soft plastic sheeting. 

I have seen pics that some of you have posted with really big poly cutting boards and mats on top of your tables. Where would i find such a thing? Google is not helping, Other than the Tekline, i cant seem to find anything in that size. I want to keep it under $300 and really don't want to spend that much but i dont want whatever i buy to fall apart or have big gouges that will ruin my leather, or make my cuts go off course. 

Would appreciate any input. Thanks

44 minutes ago, Travis73 said:

I have seen pics that some of you have posted with really big poly cutting boards and mats on top of your tables. Where would i find such a thing?

This is the largest cutting mat that I have been able to find. Not as big as you are seeking, only 3" x 5", but it has been a good mat. I found it available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sullivans-087168-SUL38233-Table-White/dp/B006JJG6D6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547741618&sr=8-1&keywords=sullivans+36''x59''+gridded+cutting+mat+for+home+hobby+table

Sullivans 36''x59'' Gridded Cutting Mat for Home Hobby Table.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

I need to resurface my bench but I'm holding off until I've decided whether I have to leave our as 8x2 or can squeeze a 8x4 into the workshop. None of the intensive surfaces I've tried so far (chipboard, hardboard, green mats) have worked well enough so I'm going to bite the bullet on something decent, even if it is expensive. HDPE is usually what's recommended but most suppliers here in the UK only but it as 1x2 metered sheets (about 3'3"x6'6"). Full 8x2 or 8x4 sheets aren't cheap in the sorts of thickness needed but they're out there. I found the suppliers through Google and eBay.

Harry those mats look handy and a good price but I'm worried about how tough they are, especially when I go heavy handed with a round knife. I'd also like a surface on which I can punch with impunity. What did you used to use in industry? Cos I'm fed up of keep spending money and ruining leather on inadequate surfaces. Full bench sized HDPE 10+mm thick is what I'm leaning towards. Yes it's an expense but if I spread that over the expected decades of use it works out pretty cheap.

In industry... in the olden days, if we could see through the fug from oil lamps... we had HDPE mats that we 6 ft x 2 ft x 1 inch, on the bench, and on a side bench (we were the design room so got 'special treatment') had a butcher's block that needed oiling and prepping etc, that was 3 ft x 2 ft and had a piece of 1 inch HDPE off cut for punching, or a block of lead for punching.

Using my head knife I am ok on self healing mats now, but my round knife use on wood only. Remember, in the factory we were mainly using clicking knives or head (half round) not round knives, so my 'go to' is a differing one than many.

I use my scalpel for bookbinding, nearly exclusively.

Best

H

I built a 4' x 8' table and covered it with a sheet of 1/4" HDPE.  It cost about $85 around 8 years ago (and is still doing fine after lots of heavy use.)

I got it From Sabic Plastics, which has warehouses all over the world.

https://www.sabic.com/en/about/locations

You will likely have to buy a full sheet, they don't like to sell part sheets, but you can likely get them to cut your sheet to the size you want.

1 hour ago, hwinbermuda said:

In industry... in the olden days, if we could see through the fug from oil lamps... we had HDPE mats that we 6 ft x 2 ft x 1 inch, on the bench, and on a side bench (we were the design room so got 'special treatment') had a butcher's block that needed oiling and prepping etc, that was 3 ft x 2 ft and had a piece of 1 inch HDPE off cut for punching, or a block of lead for punching.

Using my head knife I am ok on self healing mats now, but my round knife use on wood only. Remember, in the factory we were mainly using clicking knives or head (half round) not round knives, so my 'go to' is a differing one than many.

Paraffin or whale oil in the lamps Harry? :lol:;)

Thanks for the detailed response. I tend to be a bit hard on equipment so I think I'd better just pony up for a big chunk of HDPE. Most of my green mats have at least one hole from when I thought I could get away with punching "just a couple" holes. I could probably make do with a 6ft assembly/punching/general bench if I had a separate lightweight 8x4 layout/cutting table but I really can't fit both into my little shed.

I went to my local "old/new hardware" shop where there nut, bolts, fittings, barrels, etc. See pictures of the shop:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x549878d6916d69bf:0x95dacdfe91069a4f!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipPlJO7mZ93YGG1h7jqEOpEiuHdkwnWOXaDyzpsU%3Dw213-h160-k-no!5sart+carpenter+kennewick+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPlJO7mZ93YGG1h7jqEOpEiuHdkwnWOXaDyzpsU&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjH7MTftPXfAhXKwVQKHd6PDhkQoiowCnoECAYQBg

...and purchased a roll of rubber conveyor belt.  I used 3-foot wide, because my table was 3-foot wide. The belt is smooth rubber, about 3/8 inch thick and has bias ply construction like tires.

Edited by stelmackr

Paraffin or whale oil in the lamps Harry? :lol:;)

What to go with my walrus tusk knife handles?

:rofl:

Yup, HDPE is a good buy, and I must get some too.

Edited by hwinbermuda

Lino makes a nice surface and you can cut out and install a new patch when required, not as flexible as the green self seal boards, but a option

Hi

I am new to leather craft can anyone recomend some leather cutting knives..

Thanks

EFT

12 hours ago, eftee said:

Hi

I am new to leather craft can anyone recomend some leather cutting knives..

Thanks

EFT

Depending on the thickness you can get by very inexpensively with either a scalpel (for thin leathers) or a simple utility / box knife with replaceable blades (for thicker leathers).  That is where I would / did start.  Eventually one could get a round knife, japanese skiver, or a multitude of other cutting implements.  These would be used to cut pieces of leather all the way through.  If the type of knife you're looking for is for carving, a decent swivel knife should run under $30.

Sorry to be a bit brain dead:unsure:

I have seen these leather cutting knives KT-2000GP Red handle or Black handle

https://compasscutter.com/leather-knives 

they have an option of 2 type of blades

BKT-300 - Straight cutting blade

BKT-350P - Angle cutting blade

Not sure what they mean by Angle cutting blade, surely you can cut angles with the straight blade, by holding the knife at an angle...

Hope someone can educate me on it..

Thanks

Leather-knife-KT-2000GP-red.png

Edited by eftee

How about this? buy the size you need and trim it so it fit your table perfect? 

http://www.yellotools.us/Cutting/Cutting-Mats/

And for those in EU, they are located in Germany, but also have a shop based in US

Here is their website. https://www.yellotools.com/de/