ricroy

Oil pot For Thread Lubrication..

I called Toledo Industrial sewing today and asked if they had a thread lubricating oil pot.. They do..  The Ferdco Pro 2000 has one that Mr. John Bianchi used in his western belt and holster making video set. That's how i know about an oil pot. I ordered one and am attaching it to my Cobra 4 machine.. This should help when sewing thick leather where the needle likes to stick.  

I purchased a thread lube pot a few years ago thinking I needed it. I paid around $50 for it and it bolted to one of the mounting holes on my Cobra 4. It now sits in a drawer and doesn't get used.

I don't know what type of items you are making but I make a variety of things, holsters, belts etc. I tried using the lube pot and found that it isn't as easy as you might think. Getting the tread tensions set properly was a real chore. Ultimately I found that simply buying good quality pre-lubricated thread is all I really needed. In addition storing the thread properly when not in use also helps.

I have never used a Ferdco Pro 2000 machine but I found that my Cobra 4 works perfectly well without a pot. Unless you are sewing something that is at the very edge of the machines capability thickness wise or you sew at the highest speed setting the machine is capable of, good quality thread is all you should need.

I should probably lit my thread pot on here for sale since I have no need for it but.... that is just one more thing I haven't quite gotten around too.

Lube pots have a lot to do with WHAT you're sewing. I bought one with my CB4500 just in case I ever needed it. I haven't, so far, but every time I think I don't need something and sell it, I later need it. (I would LOVE to have my rivet gun back that I sold when I completed my airplane, it would be perfect for peening brass and copper rivets). I've seen stuff on sewing certain types of webbing, needing lube, and from what I've seen from sewing webbing, I can believe it. My CB4500 groans something awful when the needle is coming up at really slow, (hand turned) speeds. Apparently there is a LOT of friction there. Thicker holsters and sheaths in leather haven't been a problem, the polyester and nylon thread has sailed right through.

Jeff