alpha2

My new favorite edge dye applicator

Picked this up recently, I thought, what the heck, it just might work. It does! It's great! Easiest and safest method I've tried yet.

Jeff

dyeapplicator.jpg

are you doing edging by hand slicking?

Yes, I bevel, then water and slicker, then either dye or paint. Usually dye. Then after it "mostly" dries, I slick lightly again. Then, I rub some beeswax on the edges and slick lightly again. Then run it through my hand a few times with a piece of cloth or canvas. Then, if I'm really paranoid about dye transfer to clothing, I'll seal it with Resolene. Obviously, all these last steps are with dye, not paint.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, it's going onto the supply list.

On 1/20/2019 at 2:50 AM, alpha2 said:

Yes, I bevel, then water and slicker, then either dye or paint. Usually dye. Then after it "mostly" dries, I slick lightly again. Then, I rub some beeswax on the edges and slick lightly again. Then run it through my hand a few times with a piece of cloth or canvas. Then, if I'm really paranoid about dye transfer to clothing, I'll seal it with Resolene. Obviously, all these last steps are with dye, not paint.

Jeff

why not using edge paint?

1 hour ago, nrk said:

why not using edge paint?

I do use edge paint sometimes. I like that the dye penetrates the leather though, as opposed to sitting on the surface. Something that will get a lot of abrasion on the edges is not a good candidate for edge paint, in my opinion. Dye will show some abrasion, too, but at least the color will remain.

Jeff

Also, dye doesn't peel off like you see most edge paints do when they take a knock.

So we got foam or felt?  Where'ja git it - so we kin git the specs?  Is the dye the same?  Howzit differnt from those felt pens?

OH>.... it's a FINISH.  PRobably why I didn't remember it.  Might be okay for touch-ups on used stuff ...

The applicator is foam. I tried it out on a belt. Two coats, dried, slicked, beeswax and buff. Well pleased with the result. 

Jeff

I put a couple of coats on a scrap piece of veg tan. It is definitely a top finish. No soaking into the leather like a regular dye. It is very resistant to scuffing, however. I can scrap it off with a blade, but working it pretty well with a fingernail didn't take it off. I can see certain applications sure, others not so much. Still, it goes on evenly and smoothly, with no tendency to run over an edge. It dries quickly.

Jeff