Got to make a couple sheaths for a local blacksmith who started making knives. Made from 10 oz latigo, welt is 3 layers 8 oz vegi. Saddle stitch assembly. Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome.

20190113_105715-554x600.jpg

20190113_105856-756x1008.jpg

20190113_110806-640x360.jpg

Nice work! Certainly sets off the knives nicely.

Have you considered skiving the edges of the front and back pieces to reduce the overall thickness? I hate skiving, and it changes the angle of the front and back, think "more attention to stitching", but it really cuts down on the thickness of the sheath. 

I wish I could get hooked up with a knife maker around here. I like to do sheaths.

Jeff

49 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Nice work! Certainly sets off the knives nicely.

Have you considered skiving the edges of the front and back pieces to reduce the overall thickness? I hate skiving, and it changes the angle of the front and back, think "more attention to stitching", but it really cuts down on the thickness of the sheath. 

I wish I could get hooked up with a knife maker around here. I like to do sheaths.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I didnt think about skiving the edges, great idea though. These blades were about 1/8 thick and the gaurds probably 1/2 wide. Had to do the welt so thick to get the handle to lay parallel to the belt loop. Thanks for you comments...

There is some info on just that issue, without thick welts. I discovered it when I did a sheath for a KaBar battle knife for my brother. I'll see if I can find the other info, it was really recent. It has a lot to do with how you fold the belt loop and re-incorporate it into the sheath. Kind of ingenious, at least I thought so!

Jeff

I just made a sheath with my boy using that method you spoke of Jeff. Turned out OK.  I don't skive a lot but the kbar sheath design called for it. I think I'll do it again for sure.

I love them - I actually like the thickness of the welts. 

2 hours ago, Viking said:

I love them - I actually like the thickness of the welts. 

Thanks viking.