DONAG

Tandy 3790-00 Leather splitter parts

Working on some leather when I hear a ping and turns out one of the springs for the roller pressure plate snapped.  Still have one spring and I suppose it will work as well as two

Has anyone found parts for this tool?

I emailed Tandy when my blade had a warp and they said they didn't carry spare blades (odd for a $300 retail tool not to have spares), so I'm guessing that they won't have springs either

Tried bending, but not enough on the end to work

Here's the image and you can see the spring.  What can be done to replace if not available?

Craftool-hi-tech-splitting-machine-3790-

Thanks

DON

Check with an Ace Hardware. The usually have an assortment of springs in various sizes and shapes.

Thanks Tom,

Closest store is a bit of a distance from me, but site didnt have the size needed

they did give me the name of the type of spring, so can search for them elsewhere

thanks

DON

Splitter Part 2

I assumed Tandy would not have spring s (don't have spare blades), so I removed the second spring to measure dimensions.

Based on the design (round end one side and square the second).  Nobody would carry this, so tried to place it back on the tool.

Very difficult.  Spring steel and tried to stretch it out with needle nose pliers and on the third attempt.  Broke the second spring

Called Tandy and manager did a check with the head office and they have extras, so asked for 4 of them.  Will have to come up with a new method to stretch the spring out with less stress on the end.

For now.  Makeshift repair with short rubber bands and bent metal clips from a thick paperclip

DON

tanfix.jpg

If you can get in to the Tandy store, maybe they can show you how to fit the springs ... that is, if they know!

Hi Brian,

40 mile round trip.  I figure you need a stretching tool which hooks the spring and pulls it out.

I can probably make something up or look around in my mess of parts.  Just didn't think the spring would be that tough or break that easily

Thanks

DON

17 hours ago, DONAG said:

Just didn't think the spring would be that tough or break that easily

I know what you mean. I have broken a spring before, which I believe was because I hooked a wire onto the hook end of the spring which snapped the end off.

Posting on the ending of this topic.

Bought 4 springs which cost a couple of dollars.  $13.00 by UPS to ship to Florida where they sat until today

I screwed a hook into a piece of wood, placed a second as a brace and used a double coil of stitching thread to pull the new springs out and all is good.

Tool back to working order

DON