JLSleather

Shows 'n' stuff

I recall a story of a guy that ran an advertisement in the classifieds section of the newspaper:

"This is your last chance!  Send $25 to P.O. Box ###!!"

and apparently made thousands.

YinTx

Few years back a lady wanted me to repair her Bahama bought fake  "Gucci" handbag.  The straps had separated, (the Beijing glue job sucked).  After two and a half hours of regluing and then sewing the straps back together, she was upset that I wanted $50.00 for the job.  I guess the $40.00 she paid originally (she told me that) +my $50.00 for putting her bragging rights back together wasn't worth it.  Don't know what a real Gucci one's worth but I bet more than 90 clams.  Sometimes ours is a thankless job.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:49 PM, fredk said:

May I join in?

Here in N.I. 'Game of Thrones' has been a big employer for about 10 years. Its also flooded the market with 'medieval' leather goods - items supplied to the extras on the movies, they get several new issues during the filming, so they sell off their 'old' stuff.

Problem is, those 'medieval' style leather items from GoT are fantasy designs. I used to make leather goods for the local re-enactors. I have a library full of books written by archaeologists and museums. The items I made were made according to actual period finds - but, more and more, people started telling me my stuff was historically wrong as it was so different to the 'Game of Thrones' items - people insisted that GoT was historically correct and I was wrong, even after I showed them the find example in a museum publication. It wasn't just the style and designs, it was in the quality of the leather, the way the items are sewn together. People would rather believe that medieval people could not make nice looking, robust and well put together leather goods. The buyers of GoT items would rather pay 4x for a 'correct' piece than my modest price for a better constructed item.

I stopped doing the 'medieval' fairs and such after a bit too much of this

thank you ~ rant mode off

LOL at people thinking GOT was a period piece. 

On 2/5/2019 at 8:06 AM, Hildebrand said:

Unfortunately that logo means a lot.  I have seen women lose their ever loving mind over a name brand wallet or purse.  Usually not that well made.

Amen to that one.  But you should see the look on their face when they ask me if I can replace the straps on that LV purse because they have cracked (yup, fake as all hell and not a piece of real leather on them).  I charge them fairly, but appropriately, and then continue to answer their questions regarding the quality of the rest of the bag.  I do this at least 7 times per month and have been doing this for the past 7 years now when the word got out that I can replace the straps with high-quality leather that looks exactly like the original ones.  Haven't spent a dime advertising this though but my name has been shared multiple times somehow.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:32 AM, NVLeatherWorx said:

I don't compete with other makers/sellers/craftsman because I am not them nor like them and none of us are the same as another and I darn sure don't compete with the likes of eBay, Walmart, and every other low-priced low-quality no value merchandise or the seller of such items

Agreed. The only person I compete with , is myself :)  I haven't  been doing leatherwork as long as you or   many others on here, I've been doing it for 16 years, and  I'm still learning , but I have learnt not to compete   with  the cheap'n' nasty  :)  

For me personally, as I do shows n stuff,( mostly markets)  the pros & cons of doing them, my 2 cents worth: 

Pros:  Its a great for selling, advertising ( although word of mouth works best for me**) , , 'showing off' , receiving  orders, its very social,  speak to former leather crafters, share & teach,  to those that  are willing to take up the craft , invitations to other events. Its cheaper than having a shop, very  little over heads, just stall fees,fuel for car, and Public Liability Insurance. EFT is cheap, ' Square Reader' .  I don't buy food, drinks, I BMO, Too easy  :) 

Cons: Idiots ,and lots of them , I could be here all day..  Those that have no idea where leather ( or meat)  comes from, and those that have no idea how to try a belt on. I feel like saying " its a belt....not a girdle !!" they pull it so tight, their eyes pop out !! and damaging the belt in the process.  or  " this one is too short"  thats because its a dog collar ? DUH ?!  And what I call ' The 3 'P'   Brigade' , they Pick it up,  Put it down, and P*ss off !!   Or, parents not teaching their sticky fingered kids one simple rule, " DON'T TOUCH !!  sometimes the parents are worse. 

And, the other ' con' is  Mother Nature, you're at the mercy of the elements ,  unless we're inside. But we do go prepared for any contingency , and keep a close eye on weather reports &  radars 

** I went into town yesterday  and came back with 6 jobs, and  I only went to get a newspaper and a few beers  :specool:  

HS

With all the concerns with the  c/virus atm , so many events are being cancelled all over Oz . So I contacted my local shire to see if I can still have my stall in town, mainly to cover my neck... and my P/L insurance,  and the official word was "I can see no reason  why you can't continue "  Pheeeew !!!   

When I saw the Shire Council  heading in my inbox , my heart was in my mouth, but it was good news, some saving grace in all this uncertainty . But they also said to " practice practicable social distancing" .... thats fair enough....... I guess that means don't  kiss my customers  when I close a sale  Ha !! just kidding   :)   

Stay Safe 

HS