YSRASupply

Sewing Machine Recommendation for Small Leather Goods?

Worst mistake I ever made was buying a machine. I can’t figure it out. Have ruined a few projects. Made an enjoyable activity miserable. I hate even going in my shop now. Just seeing a very expensive mistake sitting there ruins my entire day. I should have stuck to hand sewing. 

Ok maybe others can help in some way. 

With that what machine choice did you pick from all the previous discussions.

It did seem to me you had decided towards a medium class, in cylinder type vs the flat beds.  So either style, using the 69, 92 and 138 Threads were your prefered pick. 

Whats up with whatever

Floyd

Edited by brmax

jsullivan, what appears to be the problem(s)? Which machine did you buy? What were your expectations of the machine? I'm sure that members here will be more than happy to try and help you resolve the issues you're having.

Perhaps if you start a new thread about this?

Edited by dikman

About to pull the trigger on the class 26 + flatbed conversion and edge guide...

Question on thread... 

Is 69 bonded nylon thread suitable for wallets and small goods or should I look for 92 or 138?  SLC seems to only offer 69 and 138...

Or is there another type of thread other than bonded nylon that I should look for?

Thanks!

Edited by YSRASupply

11 hours ago, YSRASupply said:

About to pull the trigger on the class 26 + flatbed conversion and edge guide...

Question on thread... 

Is 69 bonded nylon thread suitable for wallets and small goods or should I look for 92 or 138?  SLC seems to only offer 69 and 138...

Or is there another type of thread other than bonded nylon that I should look for?

Thanks!

I use #69 thread on wallet interiors that are up to 4 ounces thickness. I move up to #92 thread for 5 to 8 ounces. I use #138 thread for 8 to 10 ounces.

As a reference, #69 thread has a breaking strength of 11 pounds. Number 92 has about 15 pounds strength and #138 has 22 pounds test. I usually sew wallet interiors with #69 and combine them to the back with #92.

13 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I use #69 thread on wallet interiors that are up to 4 ounces thickness. I move up to #92 thread for 5 to 8 ounces. I use #138 thread for 8 to 10 ounces.

As a reference, #69 thread has a breaking strength of 11 pounds. Number 92 has about 15 pounds strength and #138 has 22 pounds test. I usually sew wallet interiors with #69 and combine them to the back with #92.

Thanks! What are some good resources for sourcing thread in a variety of colors? I might not be looking in the right places since most places I'm looking only have 69 and 138 but no 92.

1 hour ago, YSRASupply said:

Thanks! What are some good resources for sourcing thread in a variety of colors? I might not be looking in the right places since most places I'm looking only have 69 and 138 but no 92.

I buy most of my thread here. It is sold in matching colors across multiple sizes. For instance, straw color matches from #69 through #346. They stock 69, 92, 138, 207 and 277 in most primary colors and several shades of brown.